Indian-origin MP Lisa Nandy appointed as shadow foreign minister
* Sir Keir Starmer, the Labour Party’s newly-elected Leader, named Indian-origin MP Lisa Nandy as his shadow foreign secretary. Starmer’s new committee will be responsible for coordinating Labour’s response to the coronavirus pandemic.
* Lisa Eva Nandy served as the Member of Parliament for Wigan since 2010. From 2010-12 she served as the Parliamentary Private Secretary to Tessa Jowell. From 2012-15, she served as the Shadow Charities Minister.
Indian Railways’ Chittaranjan Locomotive creates world record of producing highest number of locos in FY’20
* The Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW) of Indian Railways’ has sets new world record of making the highest number of locomotives in the financial year 2019-20.
* The Asansol, West Bengal based CLW locomotive factory produced a total of 431 locomotives in the financial year 2019-20, to be recognized by Limca Book of Records as World Record.
* It surpassed its own record of manufacturing a number of 402 locomotives in the financial year 2018-19, which itself was a world record.
Naval Dockyard Visakhapatnam Develops Oxygen Cylinder MOM for COVID-19 patients
* The Personnel of the Naval Dockyard Visakhapatnam (NDV), Andhra Pradesh has designed an innovative device called ‘Portable Multi-feed Oxygen Manifold’ (MOM).
* MOM is an oxygen cylinder that could be used to supply oxygen to six patients simultaneously, using a 6-way radial header fitted to a single cylinder.
* The device will enable critical care management to a larger number of Covid-19 patients with the existing limited resources.
* After successful trials, Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam has commenced manufacture of 10 portable MOM with two 6-way radial headers catering for 120 patients at makeshift locations.
ADB Estimates India’s GDP for FY’21 at 4 Percent; 6.2% for FY’22
* The Asian Development Bank (ADB) released its latest Asian Development Outlook (ADO) 2020 for financial year 2020-21 on 3rd April 2020.
* As per ADB, the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth in India is likely to slow down to 4 percent in FY21 (2020-21) on the back of the current global health emergency.
* However, ADB expects the Indian economy to further strengthen to 6.2 percent in the FY22 fiscal (2021-22).
Government Extends Tenure of Acting President of NCLT, BSV Prakash Kumar, for 3 Months
* The Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) has extended the tenure of BSV Prakash Kumar as the Acting President of National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) for another three months with effect from 5 April 2020, or till the joining of new President, whichever is earlier.
* Kumar was appointed as acting President for a period of three months on January 5 after the retirement of Justice MM Kumar as the NCLT President.
After SBI, Govt nominates IOB for collecting donations for PM Cares Fund
* Indian Overseas Bank (IOB), has been nominated by the government for the collection of funds of PM-Cares Fund. Till now only State Bank of India was the nominated bank for the same.
* PM Cares stands for Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund (PM-Cares Fund).
* The contributions can be made by ECS, RTGS, NEFT, IMPS, cheques and demand drafts drawn in favour of PM-Cares Fund.
* All such contributions will be entitled to 100 per cent income tax exemption under Section 80G of the Income Tax Act.
Naveen Patnaik awarded with ‘Hero to Animals Award’ by PETA India
* Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik has been conferred with ‘Hero to Animals Award’ by animal rights body PETA India.
* He has been awarded by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) for allocating funds to feed community animals in Odisha during the lockdown over the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Kobe Bryant inducted into NBA’s Hall of Fame Basketball
* Late basketball player, Kobe Bryant, has been inducted into the NBA’s Hall of Fame 2020. He was an American Basketball Player.
* Kobe Bryant, 41 was killed in a helicopter crash in January 2020 in which total of 9 people died.
* A total of 9 people have been inducted into the 2020 NBA’s Hall of Fame. The other eight are: MVP Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Eddie Sutton, Rudy Tomjanovich, Tamika Catchings, Kim Mulkey, Barbara Stevens and Patrick Baumann.