Marieke Lucas Rijneveld becomes youngest to win International Booker Prize 2020
* The International Booker Prize 2020 has been won by Dutch author Marieke Lucas Rijneveld for her debut novel ‘The Discomfort of Evening’.
The novel has been translated from Dutch to English by Michele Hutchison.
* The £50,000 prize ($66,000) will be split equally between the author and translator to give equal recognition to both.
* The 29-year-old Dutch writer Marieke Lucas Rijneveld is the youngest author to win the International Booker Prize.
Axis Bank introduces ‘Axis Liberty Savings Account’ for millennial customers
* The private sector lender Axis Bank has launched a new savings account called the ‘Axis Liberty Savings Account’, with focus on millennial customers.
* The product is aimed at salaried professionals under the age of 35, because they are digitally savvy, well-informed and are on the look-out for offers and deals which they compare before choosing.
Punjab University wins prestigious Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy for second consecutive year
* The Panjab University has been conferred with the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad(MAKA) Trophy for the year 2019.
* This is the second consecutive year in a row that Panjab University has won this coveted trophy, which is given to overall top performing University in Inter-University Tournaments.
Amul (16th) becomes first Indian dairy company to be in Rabobank’s Global Top 20 list; Top- Nestle
* Amul, Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) has been ranked 16th in the Rabobank’s Global Top 20 Dairy Companies list. Amul has achieved an annual turnover of $5.5 billion.
* Switzerland’s Nestle topped the list with a turnover of US $22.1 billion. Amul is the first Indian company to enter the top 20 ranking of Rabobank’s Global Top 20 Dairy Companies list.
Lewis Hamilton wins F1 Belgian Grand Prix 2020
* Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the Formula One Belgian Grand Prix 2020 held on August 30, 2020. This was his 5th win of the season.
* Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) came second followed by Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) at third place.
India’s GDP contracts by 23.9% in Q1 of FY21: NSO data
* As per the official data released by the National Statistics Office (NSO), India’s GDP has contracted by 23.9% in the first quarter (April-June 2020) for FY21.
* This is the first instance of an economic contraction for India in at least four decades. It is also the first GDP decline since India began publishing quarterly numbers in 1996.
* Gross value added (GVA) for India declined by 22.8%. All the sectors except agriculture witnessed contractions during the April-June quarter of 2020-21. The highest drop was witnessed by the construction industry of 50.3%.
Myntra appoints Kiara Advani as brand ambassador
* E-commerce website Myntra has appointed Kiara Advani as its brand ambassador.
* Actress Kiara Advani will be the brand ambassador and nationwide celebrity endorser for Myntra.
* Her mass appeal as an actor and fashion trendsetter is poised to accelerate conversations around Myntra’s apparel segments.
Aveek Sarkar elected new Chairman of Press Trust of India
* Aveek Sarkar has been elected as the Chairman of the Press Trust of India.
* He replaces Vijay Kumar Chopra, Chief Editor of the Punjab Kesari Group of newspapers.
* Aveek Sarkar is the Vice Chairman of the Ananda Bazar Group of Publications. He was also the founding Managing Director of Penguin India.
Tamil Nadu Appoints India’s First-ever Woman Ambulance Driver
* Tamil Nadu has appointed India’s first-ever woman ambulance driver under a new initiative by CM Palaniswami.
* M Veeralakshmi was appointed driver of one of the newly launched ‘108’ ambulances in Tamil Nadu.
* As per the Tamil Nadu government, this is the first such instance in the country.
Rajiv Kumar takes charge as new Election Commissioner of India
* Rajiv Kumar has taken the charge as the new Election Commissioner (EC) of India. He has joined the Election Commission of India with Chief Election Commissioner Shri Sunil Arora and Election Commissioner Shri Sushil Chandra.
Ms. Sudha Painuli selected for National Award to Teachers 2020
* Ms. Sudha Painuli has been selected for National Award to Teachers 2020. She is among the 47 outstanding teachers selected for the National Award to Teachers 2020. The teachers have been selected by the Independent Jury at National Level, constituted by the Union Ministry of Education, Department of School Education & Literacy.