Asan Conservation Reserve gets first Ramsar site tag from Uttarakhand
* The Asan Conservation Reserve in Uttarakhand has become the first Ramsar site in the state, giving it the status of ‘Wetland of International Importance’.
* The Reserve is located near Dehradun district in Garhwal region of the Himalayan state on the banks of Yamuna river.
* Apart from this, Kabartal Wetland from Bihar is the another new site to be recognised by Ramsar.
* With this, the total number of Ramsar sites in India has increased to 39, which is the highest in South Asia.
Andhra Pradesh CM launches ‘YSR BIMA’ insurance scheme for BPL families
* The Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched ‘YSR Bima’, a scheme to provide financial assistance through insurance cover to beneficiary in case of death or accident of their families members.
* All families with white ration cards are eligible for YSR Bima scheme. Village/ward volunteers will visit the families and enrol the names of the primary householders.
* The scheme will benefit 1.41 crore BPL families of the state.
DRDO successfully conducts final trial of Nag anti-tank guided missile in Pokhran range
* India successfully carried out the final trial of the third generation, anti-tank guided missile ‘NAG’ on 22 October 2020, from the Pokhran field firing ranges in Rajasthan.
* The Nag anti-tank guided missile has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO), to engage highly fortified enemy tanks in day and night conditions.
* The successful final user trial of the missile makes the Nag anti-tank missile ready for induction in the Indian Army.
* Following the final trial, the missile will now enter into the production phase.
* It will be manufactured by defence PSU Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program (IGMDP), of DRDO.
India gets Chairmanship of ILO Governing body after a gap of 35 years
* India has assumed the Chairmanship of the Governing Body of International Labour Organization (ILO), after a gap of 35 years.
* The Labour and Employment Secretary, Apurva Chandra, has been elected as the Chairperson of the Governing Body of the ILO for the period October 2020- June 2021.
* Mr Chandra is a 1988 batch Indian Administrative Service officer of Maharashtra Cadre. He would preside over the upcoming the Governing Body’s meeting, to be held in November 2020.
Saad Hariri Reappointed as Lebanon Prime Minister
* Former Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri has been re-appointed to the post on 22 October 2020, after winning a slim majority of votes in parliament election.
* Hariri received 65 parliamentary votes out of 118, giving him the mandate to form his new government.
* Previously he had served as Prime Minister of Lebanon from 9 November 2009 to 13 June 2011 and then from 18 December 2016 to 21 January 2020.
Income tax return filing deadline for FY20 extended till December 31
* The Ministry of Finance has further extended the deadline for filing income tax returns by individual taxpayers for FY 2019-20 by a month till December 31, 2020. Earlier this deadline was November 30, 2020.
* In addition to this, for those taxpayers whose accounts need to be audited, the Income-Tax Return filing deadline has been extended by two months till January 31, 2021.
* The extension in the deadlines will provide more time to taxpayers for furnishing of Income Tax Returns.
India-assisted Mangdechhu hydroelectric project in Bhutan wins UK Engineer Body Award
* The India-assisted Mangdechhu hydroelectric project in Bhutan has been awarded the prestigious Brunel Medal for 2020 by the top UK-based engineering body, Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) to recognise excellence in civil engineering.
* The 720-MW Mangdechhu run-of-river power project is built on the Mangdechhu River in Trongsa Dzongkhag district of central Bhutan at a cost of Rs 4,500-crore
* The project was jointly inaugurated by the prime ministers of the two countries in August 2019, during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s state visit to Bhutan.
Lewis Hamilton wins Portuguese Grand Prix 2020
* Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix, held on 25 October 2020. This was the 12th round of the 2020 Formula One World Championship.
* This is Hamilton’s 8th win of the season and 92nd career race victory.
* With this win he has surpassed the record of 91 wins set by German great Michael Schumacher.
* Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes- Finland) came second followed by Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) at third spot.
Andorra Joins IMF as its 190th Member
* Andorra has joined the International Monetary Fund (IMF), to become its 190th member. Andorra is a microstate situated between France and Spain. However, it is the largest microstate in Europe.
* IMF’s Membership allows the Andorran government to benefit from IMF policy advice, especially as the country tackles the crisis caused by COVID-19 and can now receive an annual review or “health check” of its economy by the IMF, tap technical assistance, and access IMF lending if needed.
Neena Malhotra appointed as Ambassador to Republic of San Marino
* Indian diplomat Dr Neena Malhotra, 1992-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, appointed as next Ambassador to the Republic of San Marino. She will have a residence in Rome. Presently, she is serving as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Italy.
Vega ropes in Rohit Sharma as brand ambassador
* Ace Indian cricketer and Captain of Mumbai Indians, Rohit Sharma has been signed up by India’s leading beauty accessories brand, Vega, for its men’s personal grooming electronics range under the ‘Vega Men’ brand. Rohit Sharma will feature as the brand ambassador for ‘Vega Men’ range in the upcoming digital campaign.
Sushil Kumar Singhal appointed as next Ambassador to Solomon Islands
* Sushil Kumar Singhal, a 2000-batch IFS officer, has been concurrently accredited as the next High Commissioner of India to the Solomon Islands. He is presently serving as the High Commissioner of India to the Independent State of Papua New Guinea.
Parle agro ropes in Priyanka Chopra Jonas as brand ambassador
* Parle Agro has roped in Priyanka Chopra Jonas as the national brand ambassador to maximise reach and awareness of its fruits plus fizz portfolio ‘B-Fizz’. The campaign will be aggressively promoted across IPL on Hotstar and YouTube. B-Fizz is a unique and refreshing apple juice-based malt flavoured carbonated drink that is set to revolutionize the taste experience of consumers across age groups.