HDFC’s Zubair Iqbal becomes new MD of J&K Bank
* Senior vice president of HDFC Bank, Zubair Iqbal has appointed as new managing director of Jammu and Kashmir Bank by Jammu and Kashmir Government. Iqbal will have a three-year tenure.
* RK Chibber, who currently holds the position of Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of J&K Bank, will continue to serve as the Chairman of the bank for the next three years. The appointments are based upon the continuous directions by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to separate the positions of Chairman and Managing Director for better governance.
Facebook acquires animated graphics startup GIPHY
* Facebook has announced that it has acquired the animated graphics startup GIPHY. Facebook will now integrate GIPHY in its Instagram visual social network.
* GIPHY is known for its use of stickers and other products using the graphics interchange format or GIFs.
NRAI partners with DotPe to build tech platform for online payments and ordering
* National Restaurants Association of India (NRAI) has partnered with DotPe (a fintech start-up) to build its own tech platform that would enable them with online payments for digital ordering, bill settlements, and contactless dining.
* NRAI is the apex body of the Food and Beverage Industry in India.
This would be in direct take on with existing food-tech aggregators, Zomato and Swiggy.
Benjamin Netanyahu Secures Fifth Term as Israeli Prime Minister
* Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has secured a historic fifth straight term to form his government, after a controversial power-sharing deal with rival-turned-partner Benny Gantz.
* On 7 May 2020, President Reuven Rivlin officially granted Netanyahu, two-week mandate to form his government, following which, Netanyahu announced the formation of his coalition government on 17 May 2020.
* Under the three-year coalition deal, Netanyahu will serve as Prime Minister for the coming 18 months, which would keep him in power until November 13, 2021.
* Till then Benny Gantz will serve as the Defence Minister of the country.
Rajesh Goel appointed as director general of NAREDCO
* Realtors body National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO) has appointed Rajesh Goel as director general (DG) of the association.
* Earlier, Goel was serving as the chairman and managing director, Hindustan Prefab Ltd, NAREDCO.
GAIL chief Manoj Jain now takes over as chairman of Mahanagar Gas
* Manoj Jain, chairman and managing director of national gas major GAIL, has been appointed as chairman of the city gas distributor Mahanagar Gas Ltd as well.
* As the CMD of GAIL, he is also the chairman of its subsidiaries such as GAIL Global USA Inc, GAIL Global USA LNG, GAIL Gas, Brahmaputra Cracker & Polymer and Konkan LNG.