‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ scheme extended to 4 more states, taking total states to 24
* Four additional states, namely Jammu & Kashmir, Manipur, Nagaland and Uttarakhand have been to the One Nation One Ration Card scheme have been integrated with the ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ plan of the Central government.
* With this, now a total of 24 States/UTs are connected under One Nation One Ration Card effective from 01 August 2020.
* These 24 States/UTs includes: Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Odisha, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Telangana, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, and Uttarakhand.
* Now the beneficiaries will be eligible to receive foodgrains anywhere in these States/UTs through national portability of their ration cards.
The remaining States/UTs are targeted to be integrated into national portability by March 2021.
Kotak Mahindra Bank launches ‘Kona Kona Umeed’ Campaign
* The private sector lender, Kotak Mahindra Bank, has announced the launch of a two-month long campaign called ‘Kona Kona Umeed’ with huge offers and discounts to lift up hope and optimism among its customers in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic .
* Under this Kona Kona Umeed campaign, the bank will provide a range of offers and deals on its products including loans, savings accounts, current accounts, corporate salary accounts as well as Kotak debit cards, credit cards and digital payments.
* Kotak has tied up with over 100 brands to provide exclusive deals to its customers in categories such as shopping, essentials, personal care, education, fitness, health & wellness, kids & parenting, entertainment, cyber care & security, among others.
Lewis Hamilton wins British Grand Prix 2020
* Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the Formula One British Grand Prix 2020 held on August 02, 2020. He came first, despite a puncture during the last lap.
* Max Verstappen ended up second in this F1 race while Charles Leclerc came third.
* This is the third win for Hamilton in this season of F1 races.
Govt of India gave nod to IPL 2020 in UAE
* The Indian Government has provisionally granted permission for the 13th edition of Indian Premier League’s (IPL’s) 2020 to be rescheduled in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) from September 19 to November 10, 2020, due to COVID-19 outbreak. BCCI has also decided to host a Women’s T20 Challenge to be held from November 1 to 10 in UAE.
* Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah will be the three venues of the tournament. No spectators to be allowed in the initial phase of the tournament.
* IPL governing council has postponed the tournament final to November 10 to adhere to the broadcaster’s request, which will be the first-ever weekday final in the history of the tournament.
* The squad size of each franchise is capped at 24 players.
Mohamed Irfaan Ali becomes the President of Guyana
* Former Guyanese housing minister Mohamed Irfaan Ali(40 years old)became the President of the country after he was declared as the winner of the disputed March 2, 2020 general election following a recount. He is a member of the opposition People’s Progressive Party (PPP). He succeeds David Arthur(A.) Granger.