7 Indian Universities named in the QS World University Rankings 2016
- According to UK based ‘QS World University Rankings 2016’ survey, Seven Indian institutes have been listed in the top 400 educational institutions in the world. The top three spots were grabbed by-
♦ Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Indian universities ranks namely,
♦ Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), Bombay – 219,
♦ Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi – 185 from 179 in 2015,
♦ Indian Institute of Science – 152 from 147 in 2015,
♦ IIT Madras – 249,
♦ IIT Kanpur – 302,
♦ IIT Kharagpur – 313 and
♦ IIT Roorkee – 399.
Maharashtra announces Rs 75 lakh cash reward to Lalita Babar
- Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis announced the cash prize for five athletes from Maharashtra who took part in Rio Olympics.
- Lalita Babar from Maharashtra, who finished a creditable 10th at the Rio Olympics will get a cash reward of Rs 75 lakh, while her coach will get Rs 25 lakh.
- Five athletes from Maharashtra, who took part in Rio Olympics will get Rs 50 lakh each. They are, Ayonika Paul, Prarthana Thombare, Dattu Bhonkanal, Devraj Walmiki and Kavita Raut.
- He also gave a cash award of Rs 75 lakh to Olympic silver medalist in women’s badminton singles P V Sindhu and Rs 25 lakh to her coach P Gopichand.
- He also announced a cash reward of Rs 50 lakh to Sakshi Malik and Rs 25 lakh to her coach.
Stuart Blackburn’s book based on Arunachal wins MM Bennetts Award
- Author Stuart Blackburn’s “Into the Hidden Valley”, a book based on Apatani tribe of Arunachal Pradesh, won the MM Bennetts Award for Historical Fiction 2016 in the UK.
2016 Paralympic Games Begin in Brazil
- The 2016 Summer Paralympic Games began on 7 September 2016 at Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- The 15th Summer Paralympic Games will conclude on 18 September 2016.
- The 4,300 athletes come from more than 160 countries.
Tourism Ministry approves projects of Rs 450 cr under Swadesh Darshan scheme
- Tourism Ministry has approved projects worth about Rs 450 crore under Swadesh Darshan scheme for five states, including Uttar Pradesh.
- This scheme was launched with an objective to develop 13 theme-based tourist circuits in the country and the approval for five was given in a meeting of the central sanctioning and monitoring committee (CSMC).
♦ The Ministry of Tourism (MoT), Government of India has formulated a plan scheme Swadesh Darshan for integrated development of tourist circuits around specific themes.
♦ The five circuits identified under this Scheme are Buddhist Circuit, Himalayan Circuit, Coastal Circuit, Krishna Circuit and North-East Circuit.
♦ Ramayana circuit in Uttar Pradesh – Rs 70 crore
♦ Coastal circuit in Tamil Nadu – Rs 100 crore
♦ Heritage circuit in Madhya Pradesh – Rs 100 crore
♦ Heritage circuit in Uttarakhand – Rs 83 crore.
President gives assent to the Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014
- President Pranab Mukherjee has given assent to the Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 as per Article 111 of the Constitution. With the assent, bill becomes law and opens road to roll out a new indirect tax regime and gives way for the concept of one nation, one tax.
- The assent to the Bill will pave the way for setting up a GST Council that will decide the tax rate, cess and surcharges.
- The Union Government will notify the GST Council. It will be headed by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and it will comprise state Finance Ministers.
- Now the Central and State Governments will pass the Central GST, Integrated GST and State GST laws respectively.
- The CGST and IGST will be drafted on the basis of the model GST law. The IGST law would deal with inter-State movement of goods and services.
- The States will draft their respective GST (SGST) laws incorporating State-based exemptions.
OP Kohli sworn in as MP Governor
- Senior BJP leader Om Prakash Kohli today sworn in as the 26th governor of Madhya Pradesh.
- Kohli, who is also the Gujarat Governor, has been given the additional charge of Madhya Pradesh after Ram Naresh Yadav’s tenure in office got over on 7 September.
National Nutrition Week Sep 1-7
- National Nutrition Week is celebrated each year from September 1st to 7th to spread the nut-week word regarding the importance of nutrition for every child and how this not only affects the health and development of the child .
- The theme for 2016 National Nutrition Week is ‘Poshak Aahar, Desh ka Aadhar’.It will be promoted by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- During this period World Vision India also launched its ‘24-hour Famine’ across Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Guwahati.