Deposits in Jan Dhan Yojana accounts crosses Rs 1 lakh crore
* Deposits in bank accounts opened under Jan Dhan scheme have crossed the Rs 1 lakh crore mark. As per the latest finance ministry data, the total balance in over 36.06 crore Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana accounts was at Rs 1,00,495.94 crore as on July 3.
* The PMJDY was launched on August 28, 2014, with an aim to provide universal access to banking facilities to the people in the country.
Arun Kumar appointed as DGCA chief
* Arun Kumar has been appointed as the Director General of aviation regulator Directorate General of Civil Aviation. He will replace BS Bhullar.
India successfully tests a new version of Brahmos missile
* India has successfully tested the vertical steep dive version of the Brahmos supersonic cruise missile. Made in India ‘Brahmos Aerospace’ is also ready with a longer 500 km range version of the Brahmos missile that can be fired from Sukhoi 30 fighter jets.
* BrahMos Aerospace is a joint venture company owned by the governments of India and Russia and its missiles are produced in India.
Magnus Carlsen won the 2019 Croatia Grand Chess Tour title
* Magnus Carlsen won the 2019 Croatia Grand Chess Tour title. He scored 8 points. Wesley So finished second with 7 points. India’s Viswanathan Anand ended up with 4.5 points and finished 11th.
Lal Bahadur Shastri Statue unveiled by PM
* The Prime Minister unveiled the statue of former Prime Minister Sh. Lal Bahadur Shastri at the Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport in Varanasi. It is built by Northern Coalfields, a subsidiary of Coal India.
‘Gully Boy’ wins NETPAC award in Bucheon film festival
* Filmmaker Zoya Akhtar’s directorial ‘Gully Boy’ has won the Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema (NETPAC) Award at the 23rd Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (BIFAN) in South Korea.
Dutee Chand wins gold in Summer University Games
* Dutee Chand from Odisha has won the gold medal in the women’s 100 metre sprint at the 30th Summer University Games in Naples, Italy. This is the first time an Indian has won a 100-metre gold at this global event.
Vinesh, Divya wins gold at Wrestling Grand Prix of Spain
* Wrestler Vinesh Phogat has won a gold medal in the 53kg category, while Divya Kakran has won the gold medal in the 68kg category at the Grand Prix of Spain.
* Pooja Dhanda (57kg) has won a silver after losing the title clash to Russia’s Veronika Chumikova.