Current Affairs Pocket : 8th Feb. 2017
3-day global conference on Nuclear Terrorism to begin in New Delhi
- The Implementation and Assessment Group Meeting of the Global Initiative to Combat Nuclear Terrorism begins in New Delhi.
- Nearly 150 delegates from various partner countries and international organisations will take take part in the three-day event.
- Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar will inaugurate the meet organised by the Ministry of External Affairs and the Department of Atomic Energy.
- The meeting highlights India’s commitment to global nuclear non-proliferation and peaceful uses of nuclear energy.
Indian-Origin British Sculptor Anish Kapoor Wins $ 1 Million Israeli Prize
- Renowned Indian-origin British sculptor Anish Kapoor was honored with the prestigious $1 million 2017 Genesis Prize by Israel for his utmost contribution for Jewish community.
- However, the money received by the innovative artist would be contributed by him to help the Syrian refugees and expand Jewish engagement in the global effort to reduce the refugee crisis.
- The 62-year-old Anish was chosen by the prize committee headed by Jewish Agency Chairman Natan Sharansky.
Queen Elizabeth II marks Sapphire Jubilee
- Queen Elizabeth II, the world’s longest reigning sovereign, has became the first British monarch to reach her Sapphire Jubilee, with 65 years on the throne.
- The 90-year-old monarch is marking the landmark as a day of private contemplation at her Sandringham estate in Norfolk as it also coincides with the day her father, George V who has died.
HDIL to launch budget homes in Mumbai Metropolitan Region
- Housing Development and Infrastructure Ltd will soon launching its new budget homes brand in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR).
Through this brand, HDIL aims at making quality housing at affordable prices accessible to a wider section of people.
- Under this brand, HDIL will provide affordable homes within Rs. 50 lakh inclusive of stamp duty and registration in Mumbai’s suburbs and within Rs. 20 lakh, including stamp duty and registration charges, in the Vasai–Virar region.
National Badminton Championship: Sourabh Verma clinches Men’s Singles title
- Sourabh Verma clinched the Men’s Singles title defeating Lakshya Sen in the 81st Senior National Badminton Championships tournament played in Patna.
- Sourabh beat Lakshya Sen 21-13, 21-12. Rituparna Das claimed the Women’s Singles title defeating Reshma Karthik in the tournament. Second seed Rituparna defeated 9th seed Reshma 21-12, 21-14.
- In Women’s doubles event, the pair of Aparna Balan and Prajakta Sawant clinched the title defeating the pair of Shikha Gautam and Sanyogita Ghorpade 21-9, 21-11.
- In the mixed doubles, the duo of Satwik Sai Raj and Maneesha K defeated Venkat Gaurav Prasad and Juhi Dewangan 21-14, 21-18 to claim the title.
- In Men’s doubles event, the duo of Satwik Sai Raj and Chirag Shetty clinched the title defeating Nand Gopal K and Sanyam Shukla 21-17, 16-21 and 21-16.