Current Affairs Pocket : 8th Aug 2016
China launched the Tiantong-01 – first satellite for mobile telecommunication
- China successfully launched the first satellite for mobile telecommunication named the Tiantong-01 satellite at Southwestern China’s Xichang Satellite Launch Center, with the Long March-3B carrier rocket.
- This telecommunication satellite will establish a mobile network with ground facilities, providing services for China, the Middle East, Africa and other areas.
- It is the first satellite of China’s home-made satellite mobile telecom system, and a key part of the country’s space information infrastructure. More geostationary satellites will be sent into orbit for the system.
- Long March-3B carrier rocket was produced by the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology. It was the 232nd flight of the Long March series and the 36th launch of Long March-3B.
- The satellite, designated Tiantong-1 No.1, is first in the series. According to official media reports, the spacecraft is an S-Band mobile communications satellite developed by the Chinese Academy of Space Technology (CAST) and will be operated by China Telecom.
- It is noted that in late 2016, China plans to return to human space flight. Shenzhou-11, a planned crewed mission, is slated to lift off from Jiuquan and dock with China’s upcoming second space lab, Tiangong-2.
PM Narendra Modi launched a New PMO app at MyGov anniversary
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the new PMO app at a function organised by MyGov in New Delhi. The app would correspond to the website of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
- The app is developed by a team of young engineering students from Delhi who has won the contest to develop the app.
The new app will allow mobile users to connect with the website of the Prime Minister’s Office.
Government fixes an inflation target of 4 percent for five years
- The Union government have come with the notification that tabled in the Lok Sabha intends 4 per cent inflation with the tolerance of 2 percent (±) for the next five years till March 31, 2021.
- The move is directed to the monetary policy framework agreement with the Reserve Bank of India.
- The, center’s notification comes upon the section 45ZA of RBI Act, 1934, in consultation with the bank Central Bank.
- Earlier NDA government went into a Monetary Policy agreement with the RBI in 2015 to frame policy interest rates and aim to bring inflation below 6 per cent by January 2016.
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley inaugurated India’s International Footwear Fair
- A three day long India’s International Footwear Fair (IIFF) has been launched by the Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on August 5th in New Delhi.
- This year around 263 companies from India and abroad are participating in the event.
Kolkata hosts 64-day- long theatre festival
- The Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre (EZCC), an autonomous organization under Government of India’s Ministry of Culture, has organized a 64-day-long theatre festival in Kolkata.
- The festival- Kolkata Theatre Festival 2016- will showcase as many as 245 theatres of several groups at Bharatiyam Cultural Multiplex in Kolkata’s satellite town Salt Lake.
- This is the biggest theatre festival, not even in Kolkata but in the World as well.
Kathakali dance troupe in Egypt for first time
- A nine-member Kathakali dance troupe has performed first time in Egypt.
- The Kathakali dance troupe was a part the 14th Summer Festival organized by Bibliotheca Alexandrina. And as part of their tour, the Indian dance troupe will performe in different places including Port Said Cultural Palace, Ismailia Cultural Palace.
- Kathakali is a complex art belongs to Kerala, which is combination of many different forms of art. It includes dance, drama, literature, music both vocal and instrumental, and plastic form of art, such as painting and sculpture.