Current Affairs Pocket : 7th SEP 2016
G-20 Summit 2016 held in Hangzhou, China
- The 2016 Group of Twenty (G20) Summit was held in Hangzhou, China from 4th to 5th September 2016 to discuss efforts to reform global economic governance. It was the 11th meeting of the G20.
- It was the first ever G20 summit to be hosted in China and the second Asian country after 2010 G20 Seoul summit was hosted in South Korea.
- The theme of 2016 G20 Summit: “Toward an Innovative, Invigorated, Interconnected and Inclusive World Economy”.
Key Highlights of 2016 G20 Summit
- G-20 leaders pledge have pledged to continue to work for a globally fair and modern international tax system, foster growth and refrain from competitive devaluation of currencies.
- They will continue the work on addressing cross-border financial flows derived from illicit activities, including deliberate trade mis-invoicing, which hampers the mobilization of domestic resources for development.
- They vowed to go ahead on the ongoing co-operation on Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS), exchange of tax information, tax capacity-building of developing countries and tax policies to promote growth and tax certainty.
- They also vowed to use all policy tools to achieve the goal of strong, sustainable, balanced and inclusive growth.
- They agreed at the summit that refugees are a global issue and the burden must be shared.
- They called for strengthening humanitarian assistance for refugees. The 2017 G20 summit will be held in Hamburg, Germany from 7-8 July 2017.
22-year-old Indo-Japanese crowned Miss Japan
- A beauty queen with an Indian father and a Japanese mother was crowned Miss Japan.
- Priyanka Yoshikawa’s tearful victory comes a year after Ariana Miyamoto faced an ugly backlash for becoming the first black woman to represent Japan.
MobiKwik launches one step offline payments with ‘Bubble Pin’
- MobiKwik, fin-tech player has launched one-step offline payments with ‘Bubble Pin’.
- The pin is a combination of numbers and alphabets. Bubble pin also makes the transaction more secure as no phone number is required to be shared.
- This pin can be generated on the MobiKwik app by clicking on ‘Pay at store’ and is valid for 60 seconds.
Intel acquires Google’s Project Tango partner Movidius
- Intel has acquired computer vision firm Movidius, which partnered with Google to develop 3D space mapping technology for Project Tango devices. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- With its latest purchase, Intel is set to build on its Real Sense technology, which allows for measuring depth in physical spaces and is used in drones to help them avoid obstacles, as well as in web cams for applications like motion capture and 3D object scanning.
UK appoints ambassador to Iran for first time since 2011
- The United Kingdom (UK) has appointed an ambassador to Iran for the first time since 2011, as part of its aims for more productive co-operation. Nicholas Hopton, a former British ambassador to Qatar and Yemen, will take up the role.
- The Foreign Office announcement comes one year after the reopening of the British Embassy in Tehran. Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said this is an important moment in the relationship between the UK and Iran.
Sikki and Pranaav win Brazil Open Grand Prix
- Indian mixed doubles pair of Sikki Reddy and Pranaav Jerry Chopra defeating the Canadian pair of Toby Ng and Rachel Honderich 21-15, 21-16 to clinch the mixed doubles title at the Brazil Grand Prix in Foz do Iguacu, Brazil.
- The Indian pair ranked 65 in World defeated the second seeds Toby and Rachel in a summit clash at Costa Cavalcante. This is the third-ever Indian badminton mixed doubles pair to win a Grand Prix title.
- In the another contest the lone fourth seed Anand Pawar, who is competing in men’s singles, went down to top seed Zulfadli Zulkiffli of Malaysia in the men’s final event.
Shahan becomes first Indian to win Asian Karting ChampionshipFirst Indian to win Asian Karting Championship
- Agra based Young Racer Shahan Ali Mohsin has become the first Indian to win the Asian Karting Championship held in Malaysia.
- In the contest the twelve years old teen experienced a strong challenge from his main rival Hayden Haikal to clinch the title.
- The young racer who is leading the micro-max category of the JK Tyre National Rotax Max Karting Championship will face challenge in the final round scheduled on September 25.