Andaman and Nicobar Command carries out joint tri-services exercise code ‘Bull Strike’ at Teressa Island
* The Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) conducted a joint tri-service exercise code-named ‘Bull Strike’ from 03 to 05 November 2020, at the remotely located Teressa Island, in the strategically important Nicobar group of Islands.
* All the three Services components of ANC, including the Army, Navy and Air Force, got together for the war games for enhancing interoperability and test synergy among the three Services, to maximise combat potential.
* In addition, Search and Rescue (SAR) and Medical Evacuation procedures were practiced by participating troops.
* The military exercise also involved special forces including elements of Indian Army’s Parachute Brigade, MARCOS and Special Forces.
* The Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) is India’s first and only geographical operational tri-service theater command.
Whatsapp Partners with 5 Banks for UPI Payment
* The Facebook-owned messaging platform, WhatsApp Inc., has received the approval from the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to launch its Unified Payments Interface (UPI) based payments services in India, to let users send or receive money across the country.
* The messaging platform began the pilot operations of its payments service in India with 1 million users in early 2018.
* Whatspp has partnered with five Indian banks to process its payment services. These are State Bank of India, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank and Jio Payments Bank.
* The service can however be expanded in graded manner. It means that initially Whatsapp can only roll out the payments service to only its 20 million users.
* The payment system will be rolled out in ten Indian regional languages in the latest version of WhatsApp app on Android and iOS.
Filmamker Hariharan wins JC Daniel award for 2019 for lifetime contributions to Malayalam cinema
* Noted Malayalam filmmaker Hariharan has been selected for the prestigious JC Daniel Award for 2019.
* He has been bestowed with the award for his contribution to Malayalam cinema during the past five decades.
* The award comprises of cash prize of Rs 5 lakh, a citation, and a plaque.
The J. C. Daniel Award is the Kerala’s highest award in Malayalam cinema.
Chacha Chaudhary roped in as Brand Ambassador for NamamiGange Project
* The iconic Indian superhero, Chacha Chaudhary, whose brain works faster than a computer, has been selected as the brand ambassador for the centrally-sponsored NamamiGangeProgramme.
* Diamond Toons, which launches the comic books of Chacha Chaudhary, will conceptualize and publish this new ‘Talking Comics’.
* In this comics Chacha Chaudhary character will spread awareness on the cultural and spiritual significance of River Ganga and deploy best available knowledge across the masses for Ganga rejuvenation.
NDDB Chairman Dilip Rath elected to the Board of International Dairy Federation
* Dilip Rath, the Chairman of National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) has been unanimously elected to the Board of International Dairy Federation (IDF).
* He was elected during the Annual General Assembly of IDF on 04 November 2020.
* The International Dairy Federation (IDF) represents the global dairy sector and ensures the best scientific expertise is used to support high quality milk and nutritious, safe and sustainable dairy products.
Joe Biden defeats Trump to become 46th President of the USA
* Joe Biden has defeated President Donald Trump to become the 46th president of the United States.
* He is from the Democratic Party one of the two major contemporary political parties in the United States. Other being the Republican Party.
* His full name is Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. and has served as Vice President of the United States under Barack Obama from 2009 to 2017.
* Joe got 284 electoral college votes while Trump got 214 votes. Biden, 77, will also be the oldest president-elect in U.S. history.
* Kamala Harris,56, will be the vice president and will be the first Indian-American woman to serve as Vice Present of the USA.
FASTags made mandatory for all four wheelers, including old ones, from 1st January 2021
* The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has issued a notification that FASTags will become mandatory for all four-wheelers, including old vehicles, from January 1, 2021.
* Government has amended the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 to make FASTag mandatory for registration of new four wheeled vehicles, including for those sold before December 1, 2017.
* FASTag would be supplied by the vehicle manufacturers or their dealers during registration.
* Apart from this, a valid FASTag will also be mandatory while getting a new third party insurance. For this governmnet has made an amendment in FORM 51 (certificate of Insurance), wherein the details of FASTag ID shall be captured. This shall be applicable w.e.f. April 1, 2021.
* The initiative aims to promote electronic toll collection and ensure that payment of fees is done at toll plazas through the electronic means only so that the vehicles pass seamlessly through the toll plazas.
Vidya Balan’s short film ‘Natkhat’ becomes eligible for Oscar nomination
* The Indian film ‘Natkhat’, starring and co-produced by Vidya Balan, has won top prize at the third edition of Best Of India Short Film Festival 2020.
By winning the festival, the film has become eligible for 2021 Oscar qualification.
* The film also won cash prize money of $2,500 (approximately Rs 1,85,497) and an opportunity for a television broadcast deal on ShortsTV.
* The film has been directed by Shaan Vyas and co-produced by Ronnie Screwvala and Vdya Balan.