US-Bangladesh Navy exercise starts in Chattogram, Bangladesh
* The second phase of the biggest US- Bangladesh Navy exercise named ‘Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT)- 2019’ started in Chattogram, Bangladesh. CARAT is one of the U.S. Navy’s longest continually running exercise in South Asia and Southeast Asia. The exercise provides an opportunity to gain a better understanding of the operational activities of the Navies of two countries and to get acquainted with advanced technology through various theoretical and practical training.
Students created Guinness Record for the largest astrophysics lesson
* The first day of India International Science Festival (IISF) 2019 created the Guinness World Records for the largest astrophysics lesson, with a time duration of 45 minutes, and assembly of spectroscopes with the participation of over 1,598 students. A session was organized by the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics. A memento was presented to the organizers on behalf of the Guinness Book of World Records.
Vice President releases monograph of ‘Musical Excellence of Mridangam’ in Chennai
* Vice-President M. Venkaiah Naidu released a monograph, ‘Musical Excellence of Mridangam’, a rare fusion of art and science of an ancient South Indian instrument on the CSIR-Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI) campus in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
* The book, an outcome of research and development on standardisation of fabrication, tonal characterisation and new innovations in the design of the percussion instrument, was authored by mridangam maestro and Padma Vibhushan awardee Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman and former scientists T. Ramasami (former Secretary of the Department of Science and Technology) and M.D. Naresh.
Serbia’s Sara Damnjanovic wins “Miss Asia Global title 2019”
* The 5th Edition of ‘Miss Asia Global Title 2019’ was organized at Gokulam Convention centre in Kochi, Kerala. Sara Damnjanovic from Serbia has been crowned ‘Miss Asia Global 2019’. The title is given to the winner from the Asian region. Nguyen Thi Yen Trang from Vietnam was awarded the Miss Asia title given to the winner from the rest of the world. Samiksha Singh from India won the sub-title of ‘Miss Beautiful Face’ Title. The Next ‘Miss Asia Global Title 2020’ will be held in Malaysia.
Official emblem unveiled for FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2020
* The official emblem of FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup for the year 2020 which is to be conducted in India was unveiled. The emblem was unveiled by Fédération Internationale de Football Association(FIFA) and Local Organising Committee(LOC) at the launch event in the gateway of India, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
* The design of the emblem is bright blue waves rise from the base and reach up along the form of the trophy towards a crown forming the shape of Paisley or Boteh motif commonly used in Kashmiri Pashmina shawl and carpets. The droplet of the design framing a ball made from a marigold flower depicts a symbol of growth and development. The colour and style are inspired by Bandhani textiles, an Indian tie-dye technique dating back thousands of years. The stem of the marigold’s symbol is derived from traditional Warli paintings with Bandhani patterns.