NASSCOM & NSDC launches “World Skills India”-lnternational Cloud Computing Challenge 2019
* Skills India”- International Cloud Computing Challenge 2019 from July (1st – 6th 2019) at NASSCOM Campus, New Delhi.
* Main Aim: The initiative is aimed at recognizing the best practices from the world in the areas of cloud computing.
* The challenge initiated in the presence of the minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey.
* India along with nine other countries including New Zealand, Belgium, Japan, China, South Korea, Russia, Oman and Ireland are participating in the competition.
* The finalists further taking part in the 45th World Skills Competition in Kazan, Russia which scheduled in August 2019.
* According to NASSCOM in the Asia-Pacific region,India secured second to China.
Harideesh Kumar appointed as the Director of the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection
* B Harideesh Kumar appointed as director of the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS)
* It is for a period of three years.
* He belongs from Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka.
* It is served as the Executive Director of Canara Bank.
Dr.Nalin Shinghal appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited(BHEL)
* Nalin Shinghal appointed as its chairman and managing director for five years.
* The appointment of Nalin Shinghal as chairman and managing director BHEL. It is for a period of 5 years.
Copa America 2019: Brazil wins Title on home soil
* Ten-man Brazil held on to win the Copa America on home soil despite Gabriel Jesus’s dismissal with a 3-1 victory over Peru. Jesus scored the decisive goal after a penalty from Peru captain Paolo Guerrero canceled out Everton’s opener for hosts Brazil at Rio de Janeiro’s Maracana stadium.
* A last-minute penalty from substitute Richarlison sealed a win for Brazil which handed the South American giants their ninth Copa triumph and first since 2007.
Cabinet approves India-Maldives MoU for passenger, cargo services
* The Union Cabinet has approved the pact signed between India and Maldives to start passenger and cargo services via sea route.
* The MoU will pave way for ferry services between Maldives and India. *The proposed ferry service would contribute in a big way to promote people to people contact and to boost bilateral trade.
Iraq’s Babylon listed as World Heritage Site by UNESCO
* UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee has listed Iraq’s Babylon as a World Heritage Site.
* Babylon is developed as a walled city of mud brick temples and towers, constituting the Tower of Babel, and the Ishtar Gate.
* The city was the centre of the ancient Babylonian empire more than 4,000 years ago.
Operation ‘Sudarshan’ launched along the Pakistan border
* BSF has launched the operation ‘Sudarshan’ to fortify the ‘anti-infiltration grid’ along the Pakistan border in Punjab and Jammu. It was launched on July 1 and will cover the entire 1,000-kms length of the India-Pakistan International Border.
* The Border Security Force is the primary force guarding this frontier as the ‘first line of defence’.
Hima Das wins second international gold in 200m race
* Indian sprinter Hima Das won her second international gold in women’s 200m at the Kutno Athletics Meet in Poland on July 6, 2019. This is her second international gold within a week. She won gold in women’s 200m held at Poland.
* Hima Das is struggling with a back problem for the past few months but she has clocked 23.97 seconds to clinch the gold while VK Vismaya bagged the silver in 24.06. National record holder Muhammed Anas also won the gold in men’s 200m race with a time of 21.18 seconds.
First ‘Aadhaar Seva Kendra’ in Delhi and Vijayawada
* Unique Identification Authority of India has opened its first ‘Aadhaar Seva Kendra’ in Delhi and Vijayawada. The Aadhaar card issuing authority has an ambitious plan to set up 114 such centres by the year end.
* These centres will provide the facility to apply for a new Aadhaar card or update the existing ones. These centres are similar to Passport Seva Kendras run by the Ministry of External Affairs.
DRDO successfully tested Nag missiles in Pokhran
* DRDO successfully tested Nag missiles in Pokhran ranges. The system includes a third generation Anti-Tank Guided Missile, the NAG, along with the Missile Carrier Vehicle (NAMICA).
* The Nag Missile has top attack capabilities that can effectively engage and destroy all known enemy tanks.
U.S. wins FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019
* United States wins FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019 held in Lyon, France. *They defeated the Netherlands with a scrore of 2-0. This is the 4th world cup title for the US’s women football team.