PM Modi inaugurates RAISE 2020, a Mega Virtual Summit on Artificial Intelligence
* Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated RAISE 2020, a Mega Virtual Summit on Artificial Intelligence (AI) on 5th October 2020.
* RAISE (Responsible AI for Social Empowerment) 2020 Summit hasa been organised by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and NITI Aayog from October 5-9, 2020.
* RAISE 2020 is a platform where delegates and experts in research, policy and innovation on Artificial Intelligence will join from across the globe to exchange ideas and chart a course for using AI for social transformation, inclusion and empowerment in areas like Healthcare, Agriculture, Education and Smart Mobility, among other sectors.
Puducherry airport becomes AAI’s first 100% solar-powered airport
* The Puducherry airport has become the first airport of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) which is entirely solar-powered.
* The 500KWp ground-mounted solar power plant was commissioned on 2nd October 2020. The approx cost of the plant is Rs 2.8 crore.
* With becoming absolutely power-neutral, the Puducherry airport will be able to meet its entire power requirement through the solar power plant.
DRDO successfully flight tests ‘Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo’ (SMART) Off Odisha Coast
* The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested the Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo (SMART) from Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha.
* SMART is a missile assisted release of lightweight Anti-Submarine Torpedo System for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) operations for far beyond torpedo range.
* The technologies required for SMART have been developed by a number of DRDO laboratories, including DRDL, RCI Hyderabad, ADRDE Agra, NSTL Visakhapatnam.
Harvey J. Alter, Michael Houghton and Charles M. Rice jointly wins Nobel For Medicine 2020 “for the discovery of Hepatitis C virus”
* The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet announced the 2020 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine on 5th October 2020.
* The award has been jointly conferred upon Harvey J Alter and Charles M Rice of America, and British scientist Michael Houghton for the discovery of the Hepatitis C virus.
* The trio made decisive contribution to the fight against blood-borne hepatitis, a major global health problem that causes cirrhosis and liver cancer in people around the world.
Rights activists from Belarus, Nicaragua, the US and Iran selected for Right Livelihood Awards 2020
* Nasrin Sotoudeh of Iran, Bryan Stevenson of the United States(US), Lottie Cunningham Wren of Nicaragua and Ales Bialiatski of Belarus, have won the Right Livelihood Award 2020.
* The Right Livelihood Award is an international award, also known as the Alternative Nobel Prize,.
* The Award was established in 1980 by German-Swedish philanthropist Jakob von Uexkull to “honour and support those who offer practical and exemplary contribution in such fields as environmental protection, human rights, sustainable development, health, education, which are not included in Nobel Prize list.
One of the world’s spiciest chillies, Dalle Khursani of Sikkim, gets GI tag
* The famous red-hot cherry pepper of Sikkim, which is known as Dalle Khursani, has earned the geographical indication (GI) tag from the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade.
* A GI tag is a name given to certain products that have a specific geographical location or origin.
* With GI, the crop will have global recognition and the marketing of the product will be beyond the national borders.
Roger Penrose, Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez wins 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics
* The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences announced the 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics on 6th October 2020.
* One half of the award has been given to Roger Penrose for black hole discovery; and the other half jointly to Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez.
* UK’s Roger Penrose has been awarded “for the discovery that black hole formation is a robust prediction of the general theory of relativity”
America’s Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez have jointly won “for the discovery of a supermassive compact object at the centre of our galaxy.
IPS officer MA Ganapathy appointed DG of BCAS
* Senior IPS officer, M A Ganapathy has been appointed as the Director-General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS). He is a 1986 batch IPS officer of Uttarakhand cadre. The post of BCAS chief fell vacant after Rakesh Asthana was appointed as the Director-General of Border Security Force in August.
Dinesh Kumar Khara becomes new Chairman of SBI
* The government of India has appointed Dinesh Kumar Khara as the new Chairman of State Bank of India for a period of three years. His appointment is effective from October 7. Currently, Khara is the Managing Director in-charge of Global Banking & Subsidiaries.
* The Banks Board Bureau (BBB) had recommended Khara for the post of Chairman of SBI on August 28, ruling out an extension to Rajnish Kumar, whose term is ending on October 6.
IACC presents lifetime achievement award to Ratan Tata
* The Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC) has presented the lifetime achievement award to business icon Ratan Tata for his pioneering role in the Business Relations of India-USA and for his lifetime achievement in Global Leadership. This award was announced in the virtual event of IACC “COVID Crusader Award-2020”. This is the 1st time IACC conferred the Lifetime Achievement award to any individual.