IndusInd Bank Launches India’s First Mobile-based current account opening facility
* IndusInd Bank has launched first-of-its-kind mobile app-based facility for opening current accounts in a paperless manner.
* IndusInd is the first bank in India to introduce this assisted mobile application based facility which will enable the Bank to open current accounts for self-employed individuals and businesses digitally, in just a few hours.
* The IndusInd app uses multiple ‘Application Programme Interface’ (APIs) and enables secured validation of KYC documents from authorised government platforms such as the Goods and Service Tax (GST), Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA), National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), Import Export Code (IEC) and Aadhaar.
Indian writer Kritika Pandey wins 2020 Commonwealth Short Story Prize for Asia Region
* Ranchi based writer Kritika Pandey has been announced as the winner of the 2020 Commonwealth Short Story Prize for the Asia region.
* The 29-year-old writer won for her story The Great Indian Tee and Snakes.
The story is about a Hindu girl falling in love with a Muslim man and how these two young people are trying to navigate the idea of love in an era of hatred and prejudice.
Rajeev Topno appointed as Senior Advisor to ED of World Bank
* Senior bureaucrat Rajeev Topno has been appointed as the Senior Advisor to the Executive Director (ED) of World Bank, in Washington DC. He was presently serving as the Private Secretary to the Prime Minister Narendra Modi since 2014. He is a 1996 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre. He has been appointed as the Senior Advisor to the Executive Director (ED) of World Bank for a period of three years.
RBI launches “Payments Infrastructure Development Fund”
* Payments Infrastructure Development Fund (PIDF) has been created by the Reserve Bank of India. The fund has been created to encourage acquirers to deploy Points of Sale (PoS) infrastructure, both physical as well as digital modes, in tier-3 to tier-6 centres and in north eastern states. With this fund, RBI is aiming to provide impetus to acceptance infrastructure across India especially in underserved areas in order to stimulate the digitisation of payment systems. RBI will be responsible for managing and administering the PIDF, while it would be governed through an Advisory Council.
* In the newly launched Payments Infrastructure Development Fund (PIDF), an initial contribution of Rs 250 crores will be made by the Reserve Bank of India i.e. covering half the fund, while the remaining contribution will be from card issuing banks and card networks operating in the country. The fund will also get recurring contributions from card issuing banks and card networks in order to cover operational expenses.
Kiran Mazumdar Shaw awarded EY World Entrepreneur of the year
* Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Founder and Chairperson & Managing Director of Biocon, has been named EY World Entrepreneur for the year 2020. The award is to recognize her contribution to improving universal access to affordable life-saving medicine and thus transforming the world. She became only the third Indian to receive this prestigious award after Uday Kotak and Narayana Murthy. Shaw became only the second woman to receive this award. Olivia Lum of Hyflux Limited from Singapore is the first person to have won the title in 2011.