Japan overtakes China as World’s 2nd biggest stock market
- As a result of China’s trade war with the US and its campaign to cut debt, the value of China’s stock market fell to $6.09 trillion, losing its position as the World’s second biggest stock market to Japan ($6.17 trillion).
- The U.S. has the world’s largest stock market at just over $31 trillion.
- China’s stock market overtook Japan’s in 2014 and soared to an all-time high of over $10 trillion in 2015.
Chief Justice Gita Mittal is appointed as new Chief Justice of J&K HC
- Chief Justice Gita Mittal has been appointed as the Chief Justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court (HC). She is the acting Chief Justice of Delhi HC. She is the first woman Chief Justice of J&K HC. Justice B.D. Ahmed, the State’s last Chief Justice, was retired on March 15, 2018.
- Patna High Court Chief Justice Rajendra Menon has been appointed as the Chief Justice Delhi HC.
Vijay Thakur Singh appointed as Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs
- Ms. Vijay Thakur Singh is currently India’s envoy to Ireland and will take over as Secretary (EAST) from October 1 after superannuation of Preeti Saran on September 30.
- She is a 1985 batch officer of the Indian Foreign Service.
World’s 1st Hindi-Speaking Robot Rashmi
- Ranchi-based software developer Ranjit Srivastava is developing the world’s first Hindi-speaking humanoid robot called Rashmi.
- The robot will speak Bhojpuri, Marathi, and English, and is equipped with facial expressions and recognition systems.
Gautam Adani group won the gas distribution network auctions
- Gautam Adani’s group won the gas distribution network auctions. It gained rights to sell Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) in 11 cities, including Allahabad. In the country’s biggest City Gas Distribution (CGD) Adani won 6 cities on its own and another 5 in joint ventures with state-owned Indian Oil Corp (IOC).
- IOC won 4 cities on its own. Bharat Gas Resources Ltd. won the license for 6 cities. Torrent Gas Pvt. Ltd. won 6 cities. GAIL Gas won 3 cities.
Vaibhav Suri won the Biel Masters Chess title
- Grandmaster Vaibhav Suri beat Prtihu Gupta and won the Biel Masters Chess title at Switzerland and made his second Grandmaster-norm in the premier nine-round competition.
- Suri seeded 19th in the field where 70 Grandmasters and participants from 31 countries were participating.
Netherlands crowned as world champions for 8th time at Women’s Hockey Tournament
- Kitty van Male, top scorer at the Women’s Hockey Tournament.
- Spain won the third-place match by beating Australia 3-1 to claim their first ever World Cup medal.
- India finished the tournament at the 8th spot.
Carolina Marin won gold in BWF World Championships 2018
- Spanish badminton ace Carolina Marin won gold in Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Championships 2018, in Nanjing. She created history by becoming the first woman to win three badminton World titles with an emphatic victory. She beat P.V.Sindhu of India by 21-19, 21-10 in Nanjing. P.V. Sindhu won Silver.
- In Men’s badminton, Japan’s Kento Momota won the Badminton World Championships. He defeated China’s Shi Yuqi at 21-11, 21-13.
Uttar Pradesh Mughal Sarai Junction renamed as Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Junction
- The Mughalsarai station got a new name after Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik.
- Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) National President Amit Shah inaugurated the renamed station.
- It is located on the main Howrah-Delhi Grand Chord line.
Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana was launched in Bihar
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched ‘Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana’, a scheme for the girl child. The scheme will provide Rs.54,100 for a girl child from her birth until she graduates.
- This is to express the State government’s resolve for the empowerment of women. The ‘scheme will be run by three departments namely education, health and social welfare.
- The Chief Minister also said that the amount under the ‘Bicycle Yojna’ will be increased from Rs.2500 to Rs.3000.