Uday Kotak Takes Over as the New President of CII for 2020-21
* The Managing Director & CEO of Kota Mahindra Bank, Uday Kotak has been appointed as the new President of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for the financial year 2020-21.
* He will replace Vikram Kirloskar, Chairman and Managing Director of Kirloskar Systems Ltd, and Vice Chairman of Toyota Kirloskar Motor.
Uday has been the President-Designate of CII for the last two years.
* Meanwhile, Sanjiv Bajaj, Chairman and Managing Director of Bajaj Finserv, has been named as the Vice President of the apex industry body for 2020-21.
* The industry body has also appointed T V Narendran, CEO and Managing Director of Tata Steel, as the President Designate of CII for 2020-21.
Patrick Pichette Appointed as new Chairman of Twitter’s Board
* Twitter Inc has appointed Patrick Pichette, a former chief financial officer (CFO) at Google, as the new chairman of the company’s board.
It is the first time in Twitter’s history that an outsider will preside over the group. Pichette will replace Omid Kordestani.
* Pichette joined Twitter’s board of directors in 2017 and had been lead independent director since the end of 2018.
* He previously served as Google’s CFO from 2008 until 2015.
Krishnendu Majumdar becomes first person of colour to be appointed BAFTA Chair
* Award-winning television producer Krishnendu Majumdar is the first person of color to be named as the chairperson of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) in its 73 year-long history.
* Majumdar is also the youngest chair of BAFTA in the last 35 years. He will remain as chair for the next three years, the newly extended term for all future BAFTA chairs..
* He succeeds Pippa Harris, who will now continue as deputy chair.
V N Datt takes over as C&MD of National Fertilizers Limited (NFL)
* Shri Virendra Nath Datt Director (Marketing), National Fertilizers Limited (NFL) has taken over the additional charge of Chairman & Managing Director of the Company with effect from 3rd June 2020.
* He succeeds Manoj Mishra. Shri Datt is associated with Company as Director (Marketing) since October 2018.
Patna-based NGO ‘SEEDS’ Wins World No Tobacco Day Award 2020
* Every year, WHO recognizes individuals or organizations in each of the six WHO Regions for their accomplishments in the area of tobacco control.
* This recognition takes the form of WHO Director-General Special Recognition Award and World No Tobacco Day Awards.
* For the year 2020, Patna based Indian NGO Socio Economic and Educational Development Society (SEEDS) has conferred the World No Tobacco Day Award, for its efforts to ban pan masala, gutkha, e-cigarettes and hookah in Bihar and Jharkhand.
* SEEDS is among the three awardees selected from the South-East Asia Region.
Government Launches new Initiative ‘SWADES’ to conduct skill mapping of citizens returning from overseas
* The Government of India has launched a new initiative called SWADES (Skilled Workers Arrival Database for Employment Support) to conduct a skill mapping exercise of the skilled citizens returning to the country under the Vande Bharat Mission.
* SWADES is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Ministry of External Affairs.
* It aims to create a database of qualified citizens based on their skillsets and experience to tap into and fulfil the demand of Indian and foreign companies.
* The collected information will be shared with the companies for suitable placement opportunities in the country.
* The online form available on www.nsdcindia.org/swades has been created to gather required details of the returning citizens. The form contains details related to the work sector, job title, employment, years of experience.
Sushil Singhal appointed India’s next High Commissioner to Papua New Guinea
* Sushil Kumar Singhal has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Independent State of Papua New Guinea. He is presently serving as the Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.
* Sushil Kumar Singhal will replace Vijay Kumar as the next High Commissioner of India to the Independent State of Papua New Guinea.