Current Affairs Pocket : 3rd March. 2017
Kerala’s Capital Thiruvananthapuram Ranks Best City in Urban Governance Survey
Kerala Tops Among All Other States In GST Registration
- Kerala has achieved the maximum number of enrollment and registrations under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime when compared to other states of India.The state has recorded nearly 60 percent registration of an estimated 2.5 lakh traders in Kerala migrating to the new platform.
- As per the statistics by the taxation department of the state, the outstanding performance by the state is even more significant since the these registrations are complete in all respects, including the crucial provision of digital signatures.
- The Commercial Taxes Department of Kerala has also given some relaxation to the migration and has extended the enrollment and registration dates till March 15 as to give easy time for traders to migrate in a proper manner who have not been able to do it until now.
- Propreitorship businesses have been provided the facility of E-sign using the Adhaar number to register without digital signatures. This facility is available on the GST portal (www.gst.gov.in).
- The department has set up help numbers 0471-155300 (BSNL) and 0471-2115098 (all other networks) for clarifying the doubts of traders with respect to registrations.
Number of Jan Dhan a/cs rose by 2.26 crore after note ban
- The demonetization of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 bank notes on November 8, 2016, seems to have given a thrust to new account opening under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY).
- A hundred days after demonetization, the number of accounts under the PMJDY has increased by 2.26 crore and deposits by Rs 19,084 crore.
A major share of new PMJDY accounts came from Uttar Pradesh (57.11 lakh), followed by Maharashtra (25.05 lakh), and Madhya Pradesh (24.11 lakh).
JS Deepak named India’s next Ambassador to WTO
- Telecom Secretary J S Deepak was named India’s next Ambassador to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) from June 2017.
- A 1982 batch IAS officer from Uttar Pradesh, Mr. Deepak, who is at present attending the World Mobile Congress at Barcelona, has been shifted with “immediate effect” from the telecom ministry and has been made Officer on Special Duty in the commerce department.
- The World Trade Organization is a global international organization dealing with the rules of trade between nations.
Kohli nominated for Polly Umrigar award, Ashwin for Dilip Sardesai award
- India captain Virat Kohli was nominated for the prestigious Polly Umrigar award while all-rounder Ravichandran Ashwin named for the Dilip Sardesai award.
- The awards will be presented at the BCCI Annual Awards to be held in Bengaluru on 8th March, 2017. Kohli becomes the first Indian cricketer to get Polly Umrigar award on the third occasion after 2011-12 and 2014-15 season.
- The award is given to the international cricketer of the year by the Indian cricket board. Ashwin will also become the first cricketer to receive the ‘Dilip Sardesai Award’ twice. The award is given to honor the best performance in the bilateral Test series between India and West Indies.
International Yoga festival: Uttarakhand
- On the eve of International Yoga Festival in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand Prime Minister Narendra Modi stated that world is threatened by the twin challenges of terrorism and climate change.
- He also stated that there should be peace among nations and yoga helps create harmony and peace within individuals, society, nation and all across the world.
- He quoted Swami Vivekananda saying expansion is life and contraction is death. He appreciated the work of Parmarth Niketan in bringing Yoga closer to people across the world.