Current Affairs Pocket : 31st May 2018
Joint Military Exercise SURYA KIRAN-13 Begins In Uttarakhand
- The joint military exercise SURYA KIRAN-13 between India and Nepal began at Pithoragarh in Uttarakhand. The military exercise is a biannual event which is conducted alternatively in Nepal and India every six months.
- Over 300 soldiers from both the countries are taking part in the exercise. The aim of this exercise is to conduct battalion level joint training with emphasis on counter terrorism operations in mountainous terrain.
Paraguay Gets Its 1st Woman Interim President
- Paraguay gets first interim woman President Alicia Pucheta for the first time in its history after outgoing leader Horacio Cartes stepped down ahead of schedule. Vice President Alicia Pucheta will complete Cartes’s mandate after he resigned to become a senator.
- Paraguay has just eight women among its 45 senators, and 11 among the 80 members of the lower house.
World’s Largest International Maritime Exercise RIMPAC
- As many as 26 countries, including India, will participate in the biennial Rim of the Pacific, RIMPAC military exercise from June 27 to August 2, in and around the Hawaiian Islands and Southern California. The announcement was made by the Pentagon.
- It is the world’s largest international maritime exercise. RIMPAC involves 47 surface ships, five submarines, 18 national land forces, and more than 200 aircraft and 25,000 personnel. The countries participating in the exercise include Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea and the United Kingdom among others.
Justice R.K. Agrawal Appointed NCDRC Chairman
- Justice R.K. Agrawal has been appointed as the President of the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC).
- He has replaced Justice D.K. Jain, who retired recently.
Moody’s Slashes India Growth Forecast To 7.3%
- Moody’s Investors Service report has cut India’s GDP growth forecast to 7.3% in 2018, from the previous forecast of 7.5% due to higher oil prices and tighter financial conditions.
- It, however, kept growth expectation for 2019 remains unchanged at 7.5%.
Vikas Gowda, India’s Only Discus Throw Gold Medallist At Commonwealth, Retires
- Top Indian discus thrower Vikas Gowda retired after competing at the highest level for more than 15 years, during which he became the first and only Indian male to win Commonwealth Games medal in the discipline.
- He has not taken part in any major international event since winning a bronze in the Asian Championships in 2017 in Bhubaneswar. His retirement was announced by the Athletics Federation of India.