Current Affairs Pocket : 30th May 2017
India and Fiji Inks Agreement on Defence Cooperation
- India and Fiji has signed an MoU on defence cooperation after the delegation level talks between Minister of Defence, Finance and Corporate Affairs, Arun Jaitley and the Minister of Defence and National Security of Fiji, Ratu Inoke Kubuabola in New Delhi.
- The MoU envisaged cooperation on defence industry, military training, humanitarian assistance & disaster management. In particular, Defence partnership as well as the maritime security and naval cooperation were identified as an area of promise. The MoU provides for stepping up of defence and security ties in defence production and military training.
Govt to launch new campaign called Darwaza Band
- The government launched new campaign called Darwaza Band for promotion of toilet usage in the rural areas across the country. Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan, who leads the campaign, is proposed to be joined by Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation Narendra Singh Tomar and Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis at the formal launch event to be held in Mumbai.
- The campaign is being rolled out countrywide immediately after the launch. It is designed to encourage behaviour change in men who have toilets but are not using them. The campaign also features actor, Anushka Sharma, who will be seen encouraging women to stand up for this issue in their villages and assume a leadership role.
Manipur Governor Najma Heptulla appointed Jamia Millia Islamia Chancellor
- Manipur Governor and former Minority Affairs Minister Najma Heptulla has been appointed as the Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
- 77-year old Heptulla succeeds Lt. Gen. (Retd.) M.A. Zaki, who completes his five-year term this month. Ms. Heptulla will also serve for the term of five-years. Ms. Heptulla has had the distinction of presiding over the women’s parliamentarians’ group of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in 1993.
BSF officer summits Mount Everest a record 6th time, 1st Indian to clinch feat
- Uttarakhand Mountaineer Love Raj Singh Dharmshaktu has become the first Indian to summit Mount Everest a record six times.
- Nehru Institute of Mountaineering, the premier institute of mountaineering under the ministry of defence in Uttarkashi, has confirmed that Dharmshaktu is the first Indian to summit the peak six times.
Bollywood Actress Priyanka Chopra bags Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- Actress Priyanka Chopra will be honoured with the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Award for being an international icon. ‘Internationally Acclaimed Actress‘ category at a ceremony.
- The board of trustees for Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Awards include Johny Lever, Pahlaj Nihalani, Mithun Chakraborty and TP Agrawal. The award ceremony will be held on June 1, 2017 in Mumbai.
Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar for Satyabrata Rout
- Satyabrata Rout, a professor from the Department of Theatre Arts, S N School of Arts and Communication, University of Hyderabad (UoH) has been awarded Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar for the year 2016.
- He is one of the pioneers of ‘visual theater’ in India, and has ‘Scenography: An Indian Perspective’.