Lazarus Chakwera wins President election in Malawi’s
* Lazarus Chakwera becomes the new President of Malawi. He defeated incumbent Peter Mutharika with 58.57% of votes. Chakwera won with 2.6 million votes against 1.75 million for Mutharika. He is the head of the Malawi Congress Party(MCP).
UP Governor Anandiben Patel gets additional charge as Governor of Madhya Pradesh
* President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Uttar Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel to assume the additional charge as the Governor of Madhya Pradesh on 28 June 2020.
* The incumbent Governor of Madhya Pradesh, Lal Ji Tandon, is on medical leave due to the poor health conditions.
Gudni Johannesson Re-elected as President of Iceland for second 4-year term
* The current President of Iceland, Gudni Johannesson has been re-elected as the head of the state.
* The former history professor won his second four-year term on 28 June 2020, with 92.2 percent of the 168,821 votes cast.
* It is the second-highest margin of victory in the history of Iceland’s presidential elections.
* Vigdis Finnbogadottir, the first woman in the world to be democratically elected as head of state, holds the record, winning re-election in 1988 with 94.6 percent of the vote.
India signs agreement with Bhutan for 600 MW hydroelectric project
* India and Bhutan signed a pact for the construction of the 600 MW Kholongchhu joint venture hydroelectric project in Bhutan. The agreement for the project between the Bhutanese government and therefore the Kholongchhu Hydro Energy Limited was signed within the presence of Indian foreign minister S Jaishankar and his Bhutanese counterpart Tandi Dorji.
* The Kholongchhu Hydro Energy Limited is a joint venture between Bhutan’s Druk Green Power Corporation (DGPC) and India’s Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited (SJVNL). The project is predicted to be completed within the last half of 2025. The 600 MW run-of-the-river project is located on the lower course of the Kholongchhu River in Trashiyangtse district in eastern Bhutan. The project includes an underground powerhouse of four 150 MW turbines with water impounded by a concrete gravity dam of 95 metres height.
Popstar Beyonce honored with BET 2020 Humanitarian Award
* Popstar Beyonce has been honored with the BET 2020 Humanitarian Award for her longstanding philanthropic work with her BeyGOOD Foundation, including her recent COVID-19 relief efforts such as #IDIDMYPART, a mobile testing initiative. The award was presented by the former First Lady Michelle Obama.
* “BET Awards” is an American award show which celebrates African Americans and other minorities in music, acting, sports and other fields of entertainment over the past year. “BET Awards” was established in 2001 by the Black Entertainment Television network.