India’s first solar-powered ferry ‘Aditya’ wins global honour for best passenger ferry
* Aditya, India’s first solar-powered ferry has won the inaugural Gustave Trouve Award for Excellence in Electric Boats and Boating.
* The ferry ‘Aditya’ was adjudged the world’s best electric boat in the category of ferries designed for paid passenger service.
* Aditya is a sun-powered commuter ferry that commenced operations in 2017 in Kerala’s Vembanad backwaters.
* Aditya was the only ferry from Asia among the 12 vessels from across the globe shortlisted for the award.
Varun Sridhar appointed as CEO of Paytm Money
* The investment & wealth management subsidiary of Paytm- Paytm Money, has appointed Varun Sridhar as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the company on 29 July 2020.
* Sridhar will replace former MD and CEO Pravin Jadhav who resigned from the startup due to differences with the management of Paytm.
* He will be reporting to Amit Nayyar, the President at Paytm.
Sunil ydv SS honoured with Karamveer Chakra Award from UN and ICONGO
* The founder of SS Motivation, Sunil ydv SS was honoured with “Karamveer Chakra Award” by Global Fellowship Award instituted by United Nations and International Confederation of NGO (iCONGO) at the ReX ConcLIVE hosted in IIT Delhi. He received the award for his relentless contribution to society through his Telegram channel “SS Motivation.” He addresses social issues and motivates people every day through his channel. The awards he won last year include Rastra Prerna, Iconic Personality of India, Incredible Indian Icon and Humanitarian Excellence.
HRD Ministry to be renamed as Ministry of Education
* Ministry of Human Resource Development has been renamed as Ministry of Education. The Union Cabinet has approved the change in the name of the ministry. The HRD Ministry is currently headed by Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
* The name change was a key recommendation of the draft New Education Policy. The HRD ministry name was adopted in 1985, during the tenure of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, as it was changed from the Ministry of Education. The changes in the name of the ministry have been proposed in order to focus on education and learning. The new National Education Policy (NEP) will replace the existing National Policy on Education which was first formulated in 1986 and last modified in 1992.
Union Cabinet Approves National Education Policy 2020
* The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the National Education Policy 2020. The recently approved National Education Policy 2020 will replace the thirty-four year old National Policy on Education (NPE), 1986. National Education Policy 2020 is the first education policy of the 21st century and aims to bring transformational reforms in both school and higher education sectors.
* National Education Policy 2020 is aligned to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and is based on the foundational pillars of Access, Equity, Quality, Affordability and Accountability. It has a target of 50% Gross Enrollment Ratio by 2035 and provision for multiple entry and exits. It seeks to transform India into a vibrant knowledge society and global knowledge superpower by making both school and college education more holistic, flexible & multidisciplinary, as per the requirements of 21st century.