Current Affairs Pocket : 2nd May 2017
Maharashtra becomes First State to Use Automated Weather Stations (AWS) for Farmers
- Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis has inaugurated the state’s first automatic weather station at Dongargaon in Nagpur. The state government proposes to install around 2,065 such weather stations across the state on a public private partnership (PPP) mode in this year and 1,000 in next year.
- The weather stations will be helpful in measuring the wind direction, wind speed, air temperature, relative humidity and record amount of rainfall.
Google introduces ‘Solve for India’ campaign
- Google has announced the new “Solve for India” initiative, especially for tier-2 cities such as Pune, Jaipur, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Kochi, Indore, Nagpur, Nashik, Madurai, Kanpur, and Chennai.
- This program will aim to support entrepreneurs and developers of the country. Entrepreneurs will now have the opportunity to learn directly from Google engineers. Some of the areas will include agri-tech, healthcare, transportation, education, sanitation and more.
Rafael Nadal Clinches his 10th Barcelona Open Title
- Rafael Nadal won a record-extending 10th Barcelona Open title by defeating Dominic Thiem of Austria. He collected his second claycourt title in a row.
- Nadal, who won the Monte Carlo Masters for a 10th time last week, romped to the title without dropping a set on the newly renamed Rafa Nadal court at the Real Tennis Club in Barcelona.
Joshna Chinappa becomes first Indian to win Asian Squash title
- Joshna Chinappa scripted history by becoming the first Indian to clinch the Asian Squash title with a thrilling win over compatriot Dipika Pallikal Karthik in the women’s final.
- The event was organized in Chennai. Earlier in the men’s final, top-seeded Max Lee of Hong Kong kept his tryst with glory, winning his maiden title beating India’s Saurav Ghosal, the second seed 5-11, 11-4, 11-8, 11-7 (62 min) in a match where the Indian’s enterprise was effectively shut out after a promising start.
Chandrababu Naidu bags USIBC award
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu has been selected for the ‘Transformative Chief Minister Award 2017’ in recognition for his role in advancing the US-India partnership at the state level.
- The award by the US-India Business Council (USIBC) would be presented to Mr. Naidu during the USIBC West Coast Summit in Bengaluru (the Silicon Valley) on May 8. The summit will convene 150 industry leaders from different sectors to explore the impacts of manufacturing in India, digitization, India’s move towards a cashless society and the future of the US-India trade relations. Last year’s recipient of this award was Amitabh Kant, CEO of Niti Aayog.
Leander Paes Wins Tallahassee Challenger Title
- The top-seeded Indo-American pair of Leander Paes and Scott Lipsky defeated Argentine third seeds Leonardo Mayer and Maximo Gonzalez to win the Tallahassee Challenger title of the men’s double.
- This title win is Paes’ 2nd Challenger level title of the season. The 2017 Tallahassee Tennis Challenger was played on green clay courts between 24 and 29 April 2017.