Paris Climate Deal: US to Withdraw
- President Donald Trump has announced that the United States is set to withdraw from the historic 2015 Paris Accord as the accord was hurting his country and economy very badly. However, he has said that he is open for a “new transaction” on terms that are fair to the US. With the decision to pull out, the United States will join the short list of countries including Syria and Nicaragua that are not a part of the Paris Accord which has been signed by 195 countries in 2015. The Paris Agreement on Climate Change came into effect in November last year.
- According to Trump, Paris Accord was unfair to the United States. He has held that implementation of Paris Accord would adversely impact the paper, cement, iron and steel, coal, and natural gas sectors of the American economy.
- It would also inflict a loss of $3 trillion in GDP, loss of 6.5 million industrial jobs and $7,000 less in annual income for American households.
Indian Railways to launch ‘buy now, pay later’ feature for tickets
- To attract more passengers to buy online train tickets, Indian Railways has introduced a service ‘Buy Now, Pay Later’ which allow passengers to make payment for tickets booked online within a window of 15 days.
- To buy tickets from the IRCTC website and pay later will decrease the difficulties involved in the payment process at the time. ePayLater, a Mumbai-based fintech firm has joined hands with IRCTC for adding the new feature to Indian Railways ticket booking services.
70th World Health Assembly held in Geneva, Switzerland
- The 70th World Health Assembly was held recently (22nd-31st May) in Geneva, Switzerland. In the meeting member nations agreed to increase their assessed contributions by 3 percent.
- Member states also agreed on a five-year action plan that will initiate collaboration between WHO, the International Labor Organization (ILO) and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in tackling shortfalls in global health and social workforce.
Shaktikanta Das retires as Economic Affairs Secretary; Tapan Ray to take over
- Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das announced his retirement as the Corporate Affairs Secretary. Shaktikanta Das has been associated with the Government of India as the Economic Affairs Secretary for nearly 37 years.
- He will be succeeded by Tapan Ray, who will take the additional charges as the new Economic Affairs Secretary.
Nirupama Rao appointed as Public Policy Fellow to US ThinkTank
- Nirupama Rao appointed as the Public Policy Fellow at a top American think tank based in Washington.
- Nirupama was the former Indian Ambassador to the United States.
- Under this program, she would be spending three months in residence at the Wilson Centre, which is a key non-partisan policy forum for tackling global issues, beginning in June 2017.
India, Russia sign St Petersburg Declaration to enchance Co – Operation
- India and Russia signed Saint Petersburg Declaration as a road map to enhance co – operation after the 18th Annual Bilateral Summit.
- The Declaration was signed following the annual bilateral summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Both the countries had agreed to interact closely with various fields including economy, manufacturing, energy.
NAAC receives Asia Pacific Quality Network Award 2017
- National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), has received Asia Pacific Quality Network Award 2017 for International Co-operation in Quality Assurance. The award was received by NAAC Adviser Dr. Jagannath Patil in a special ceremony held in Moscow, recently.
- APQN Quality Award is among the most prestigious International Awards in quality assurance of higher education. The NAAC and its faculty have worked with UNESCO on various projects, events and publications.
Ananya Vinay wins the 2017 US Scripps National Spelling Bee
- A 12-year-old Californian student, Ananya Vinay, won the 90th Scripps National Spelling Bee competition.
- She is awarded the cash prize of $40, 000.
- The competition was held in Washington’s Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center.