29 Dec 2016
Current Affairs Pocket : 29th DEC. 2016
Twitter partners with ICICI Bank for advanced customer care
- Social Networking Service Twitter and Mumbai based ICICI Bank announced a partnership to enable customers with direct online response to their queries and feedback in real-time.
- With this ICICI Bank become the first bank in India to implement the Twitter based customer service @ICICIBank_Care.
- Twitter has introduced the new customer care features for businesses includes Display a ‘Message’ button on their profile for customers to send a Direct Message, Indicate to customers that the business provides support on Twitter, Guide users from a public conversation to a private message with one button, Get instant Customer Feedback after a service interaction
Last year ICICI bank introduced money transfer services on Twitter for the first time in Asia.
RBI allows FPIs to invest directly in NCDs/bonds issued by Indian companies
- Reserve Bank of India has issued notification allowed foreign portfolio investors to transact in non-convertible debentures/bonds issued by Indian companies either directly or in any manner as per the prevalent/approved market practice.
- Aim: To providing flexibility in regard to the manner in which such instruments issued by Indian companies can be acquired by FPIs.
India Signs Agreement with Bhutan for green and sustainable construction
- India and Bhutan has signed an agreement for bilateral technical cooperation in infrastructure engineering.
- The MoU was signed between Central Public Works Department (CPWD), under India’s Ministry of Urban Development and the Department of Engineering Services, under Bhutan’s Ministry of Works and Human Settlements.
- The MoU was signed by Abhay Sinha, Director General of CPWD in the presence of Zhabtog Lyonpo Dorji Choden, Minister of Works and Human Settlements of Bhutan.
- Under the MoU, CPWD will assist Bhutan in green and sustainable construction of infrastructure in Thimpu.
Viral V. Acharya Appointed as the Fourth Deputy Governor of RBI
- Government has appointed Viral V. Acharya, a professor of economics at New York University, as one of the Reserve Bank of India’s four deputy governors for a term of three years on December 28, 2016.
- The RBI had a vacancy for deputy governor after Urjit Patel was made RBI Governor to succeed Rajan with effect from September 4. The existing three Deputy Governors of RBI are S S Mundra, N S Vishwanathan and R Gandhi.
- Acharya teaches at the Stern School of Business in New York University. He has research interests in regulation of banks, corporate finance, credit risk and asset pricing.
MobiKwik gets in-principle approval of RBI to set up Payment System
- MobiKwik, a mobile wallet firm has received an in-principle approval from the RBI on December 28 to set up a Bharat Bill Payments Operating Unit (BBPOU).
- The company will now be integrated in Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS), a bill payment system by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), to offer interoperable and accessible bill payment service to customers through a network of agents.
Meghalaya to host National Games 2022
- Meghalaya CM Mukul Sangma handed over the documents to the Meghalaya State Olympic Association (MSOA) to begin the bidding process for hosting the National Games 2022.
- Mr. Sangama also handed over a cheque of Rs 50 lakh on behalf of the state government and letters of support to the MSOA.
- Only two states in North East have hosted the National Games, Manipur in 1999 and Assam in 2007.