31 Dec 2018
Current Affairs Pocket : 29th – 31st Dec. 2018
PM Modi Renames 3 Islands of Andaman & Nicobar
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unfurled 150-feet tall tricolor to mark Netaji’s hoisting of the national flag 75 years ago in Port Blair. The three renamed islands of Andaman and Nicobar are:
- Ross renamed as Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Dweep
- Neil renamed as Shaheed Dweep
- Havelock renamed as Swaraj Dweep.
- To connect the islands with mainstream development, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a Lakshwadweep, Andaman & Nicobar industrial development policy. The Prime Minister also released a commemorative stamp, its first-day cover and a Rs-75 coin on this special day.
ESAF SFB Gets RBI Nod To Operate As Scheduled Bank
- ESAF small finance bank has got RBI approval to operate as a scheduled bank. This makes ESAF small finance bank (SFB) the fifth scheduled bank from Kerala.
- ESAF microfinance institution, started in 1992, was one among the ten applicants to receive approval from RBI to start banking operations in 2016.
Chagari Praveen Kumar appointed as Chief Justice of new Andhra HC
- He will become acting Chief Justice of AP High Court, with effect from Jan 1, 2019.
- Earlier, the Union Law Ministry issued an order signed by President Ram Nath Kovind, which said Andhra Pradesh will have its own High Court at its capital Amaravati and the Hyderabad High Court shall become High Court for Telangana.
Modric beats Djokovic to win Balkan athlete of the year award
- Croatia’s captain and Spanish club Real Madrid’s midfielder Luka Modric was named the Balkan Athlete of the year beating Men’s tennis world number one player Novak Djokovic. The poll to name Balkan Athlete of the year was organized by the Bulgarian News Agency (BTA).
- Serbian player Novak Djokovic got the second position whereas women’s number one tennis Romania’s Simona Halep got the third position in the Balkan’s poll.
- Luka Modric leads Croatia to the FIFA World cup final and bagged player of the tournament for the FIFA 2018 organized in Russia.
ISRO chairman K.Sivan was awarded gold medal by SSI
- ISRO chairman K.Sivan was presented the National Systems Gold Medal by the Systems Society of India (SSI) during the 42nd National Systems Conference held in Thiruvananthapuram.
- The medal acknowledges his outstanding contributions to system science and engineering. B.N. Suresh, the Chancellor, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), presented the medal at a function held at the VSSC.
Swachh Surveksahan Award For GHMC
- The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation was awarded Best Capital City in the Solid Waste Management in the Swachh Survekshan 2018 rankings. The GHMC was also at the 27th place among 4,041 cities.