New Zealand’s $5 bill named best banknote of the year
- New Zealand’s five-dollar note has been named the banknote of the year for 2015 by the International Bank Note Society.
- The note incorporates some of the world’s most advanced security features and beautifully showcasing New Zealand’s history, culture, and heritage. The $5 note has won form the 40 eligible designs from a record 20 countries.
- The $5 note has featured mountaineer Sir Edmund Hillary and on the other side, a rare yellow-eyed penguin and local flora.
DBS Bank launches ‘mobile-only bank’ in India
- Singapore based DBS Development Bank launched a First mobile-only bank in India. The dedicated digibank uses technologies like biometrics and artificial intelligence for paperless, signature-less and branchless bank.Features of Digibank:
- The virtual bank will influence biometrics-integrated ID and Aadhaar card to ensure that that there is no paperwork. It will provide customer service via a 24×7 artificial intelligence-driven assistant networks.
- It will have an intuitive budget optimizer that will help customers do their budgeting, track expenses and analyse purchasing trends.
- The digibank is smart such that it can understand customer behavior and preferences, synthesise data, and provide recommendations.
- It also has embedded soft token security, avoiding the need to wait for SMS to arrive.
- Account should not need to maintain any minimum balance requirements earn 7 per cent interest for accounts opened on digibank and can avail themselves of free cash withdrawals.
- Account holders will be provided with a physical debit card which can be used in all Visa-enabled online and POS transactions.
ISRO successfully launches 7th navigation satellite IRNSS-1G
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has successfully launched India’s 7th navigation satellite IRNSS 1G of the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS).
- The satellite was launched into a Sub-Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (Sub-GTO) on-board of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) C-33 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- IRNSS 1G satellite is last space segment satellites of the IRNSS system. With this India joins elite group of selected nations that have their own GPS (Global Positioning System) or navigation system.About IRNSS 1G:
- IRNSS 1G satellite has a lift-off mass of 1425 kg.
- Its configuration is the same as IRNSS-1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E and 1F.
TVS Racing signs up first woman rider Shreya Sunder Iyer
- TVS Racing group has signed with its first woman rider Shreya Sunder Iyer in the Indian National Rally championship this year.
- Shreya started a career in motor racing at 17 and became the first Indian woman rider to successfully complete a ride across the sand dunes in Dubaiand also cross the Kalasa River in Chikamagal.
- She has ridden extensively across India including the isolated Suruvalley in the Himalayas and also completed a rigorous Southern India biking trip of 2,000 kilometers in just 6 days.
ICC suspends the Cricket Association of Nepal
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has suspended the Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) due to government intervention in the cricket board due to that a vacuum has been made in the cricket leadership.
- The cricket administrating body suspended the membership of CAN for breach of Article 2.9 of the ICC’s Articles of Association.
- The ICC code of the Article 2.9 prohibits government interference and requires free and fair elections.
- The means puts the CAN not to be entitled to receive any ICC funding.
Deepika Kumari equals world record in re-curve event at archery World Cup
- Indian archer Deepika Kumari equals the world record in the woman’s re-curve event at the Archery World Cup in Shanghai.
- She gained a score of 686/720 that equaled the record-breaking score of 686/720 set by South Korean archer Ki Bo-Bae in 2015.
- Ranchi hailed Deepika has already booked berth for the upcoming Rio Olympics with her performances at the World Championships in Copenhagen last year.
Japan unveiled Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympics emblems
- The new emblem of Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympic Games was unveiled, featuring an indigo-coloured check in the design.
- The logo features a circular Japanese traditional checkered pattern. Below the design are the words “Tokyo 2020” and under them the five interlocking Olympic rings, reports Xinhua.
- The logo was chosen from a shortlist of four announced on April 8 after more than 14,599 entries were publicly accepted. Tokyo 2020 organizers had to scrap a logo by Japanese designer Kenjiro Sano over its close resemblance of a theater in the Belgian city of Liege created by designer Olivier Debie.
Sudarsan Pattnaik bags gold medal at Sculpture Championship in Moscow
- Renowned artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has won the gold medal at 9th Moscow Sand Sculpture Championship in Russia.
- Mr. Pattnaik won the competition for his 15 feet high art work Mahatma Gandhi’s sculpture for non-violence and peace .
- The 20 top sculptors from different countries competed at the championship. Padma Shri Mr. Pattnaik has participated in more than 50 international sand sculpture championships across the world and won many awards for the country.