28 Dec 2017
Current Affairs Pocket : 28th Dec. 2017
Uttar Pradesh Introduces New Power Scheme
- Uttar Pradesh has launched a free household power connection scheme for the poor in the state to mark former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s birth anniversary. The government has a target of covering 16 million by 2018-end, driven by Yogi Adityanath government’s motto ‘Prakash hai to vikas hai’ (the barometer of development is light).
- The government has also introduced Kisan Uday Yojana, a novel scheme for farmers. The scheme would cover 10 lakh farmers by 2022, would lead to 35 percent saving on power consumption.
President Dedicated 4 Projects to Andhra Pradesh
- The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, dedicated to the people of Andhra Pradesh four projects of the State Government at a function held at Velagapudi, Andhra Pradesh.
- The Projects were Andhra Pradesh Fibregrid Project, Andhra Pradesh Surveillance Project, Drone Project; and Free Space Optical Communication (FSOC) system. The President focused on the 24/7 hyper-connected world and the online presence of the government.
In a First, Commercial Flight Nod for Made-in-India Plane Dornier 228
- The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has allowed Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL)- manufactured Dornier 228 to be used for civilian flights. The 19-seater aircraft has, till now, been used by defence forces and is the first plane to be made in the country for commercial flights.
- HAL can sell this plane to airlines in India and it can be used by them for regional flights under the Indian government’s ambitious UDAN (Ude Desh Ka Aam Naagrik) scheme.
IPS Officer Gurbachan Singh Appointed DG (Investigation), NHRC
- Senior IPS officer Gurbachan Singh has been appointed the Director General (Investigation) in National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
- He is at present working as Special Director in Intelligence Bureau.
IRDAI Norms Allow Insurers to Begin Offshore Business From GIFT IFSC
- Sectoral regulator IRDAI issued regulations for insurance firms to carry out offshore business from Gujarat-based GIFT International Financial Services Centre (IFSC).
- With this, Insurance operations will get a major boost.
- Under the regulations, for the first time in the country, foreign insurers are permitted to open IFSC Insurance Office (IIO) at GIFT IFSC.
GIFT IFSC already hosts three major insurance players, GIC Re, New India and ECGC.
Anushka Sharma is PETAs Person of the Year
- Actress Anushka Sharma named PETA’s Person of the Year by animal rights organization People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
- Anushka is a vegetarian, has nabbed the title for helping to protect dogs from fireworks to advocating for horses who are forced to pull carriages in Mumbai.
- She was named PETA’s Hottest Vegetarian Celebrity in 2015.
Acing cinematography Anjuli Shukla wins National Award
- The field of cinematography is one woman who has become the leading lady to win a national award of cinematography for her first film.
- Anjuli Shukla became the first lady to win the award for Malayalam film industry. It has come up like a challenge for her to shoot a film which she is quite unknown and oblivion of. Acing her skills in this profession the female has proved herself in a male-dominated industry.