Current Affairs Pocket : 27th Dec. 2017
Modi to be First PM to Attend World Economic Forum in 20 years
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will become the first PM in 20 years to attend the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) annual jamboree of the global elite. The meeting will be held in Davos town of Switzerland.
- The five-day Davos Annual Meeting of Geneva-based WEF will began in January 2018. Top Indian CEOs will also be present at the meeting including Mukesh Ambani, Chanda Kochhar and Uday Kotak. Modi will be the first Indian Prime Minister at the Davos summit since 1997 when the then Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda had attended.
$318 Million Loan Agreement Signed with World Bank for Farmers in Tamil Nadu
- The Government of India, the Government of Tamil Nadu and the World Bank signed a $318 million loan agreement for the Tamil Nadu Irrigated Agriculture Modernization Project to promote climate resilient agriculture technologies, improve water management practices, and increase market opportunities for small and marginal farmers.
- About 500,000 farmers, of which a majority are small and marginal, are expected to benefit from improved and modernized tank irrigation systems. The $318 million loan from the IBRD has a 5-year grace period and a maturity of 19 years.
Amazon Acquires Connected Security Camera Maker ‘Blink’
- Amazon bought an Andover, Massachusetts-based company ‘Blink‘ that makes Internet-connected doorbells and security cameras.
- The move could help Amazon compete in the fast-growing home security camera market and against similar devices made by Nest, a subsidiary of Google parent company Alphabet.
Samsung, Axis Bank Tie-up to Offer ‘Bill Payments’ on Samsung Pay
- Smartphone manufacturer Samsung launched its ‘Bill Payments‘ on its flagship payments service, Samsung Pay in partnership with Axis Bank.
- With the introduction of ‘Bill Payments‘, consumers will be able to pay their utility bills seamlessly through Samsung Pay, set reminders and search favourite biller based on their current location.
Indian Boxers won 5 Medals at Galym Boxing Tournament
- Indian boxers have claimed three gold, a silver, and a bronze medal at the Galym Zharylgapov Boxing Tournament in Karaganda, Kazakhstan.
- In the event, the country’s Gold Medal winners were K Shyam Kumar in 49kg, Naman Tanwar in 91kg and Satish Kumar in the 91kg category claimed gold medals.
- The19-year-old Naman Tanwar was also adjudged the best boxer of the tournament.