Current Affairs Pocket : 27th DEC. 2016
‘Kuchipudi’ performers dance their way into Guinness World Records
- Andhra Pradesh’s own classical dance ‘Kuchipudi’ found a place in the Guinness World Records yet again when a record 6,117 dancers came together to present a show at the IGMC Stadium in Vijaywada.
- Guinness adjudicator Rishinath declared that “Jayamu Jayamu” item presented in unison by the participants created a new record and handed over a certificate to Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu.
Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank Launches Bank Sakhi Scheme
- To ensure greater participation in financial inclusion in rural areas, the Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB) has come out with an innovative method of employing women in villages to promote and popularize cashless transaction.
- The bank launched a scheme named ‘Bank Sakhi’ at a programme held at Adavi Somapura village in Gadag district of Karanataka. Under the initiative, the bank would appoint women business correspondents called “Bank Sakhi” in select villages where this scheme would be implemented.
- Bank chairman S. Ravindran said that the bank has already hired 11 “Bank Sakhis” and had plans to appoint a minimum of 50 such women in different districts.
- A “Bank Sakhi” is someone who has been a member of a self-help group involved in conducting banking and book-keeping activities of the group.
- Bank Sakhi will be responsible to provide a range of financial services on behalf of the bank to her community. She will be supported by the local self-help group which provides capacity enhancement, training and financial awareness in the community. She would be paid a commission by the bank for different services.
SBI adopts village of Maharashtra for Aadhaar-based payments
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has adopted Shirki village in Pen taluka in Maharashtra for driving the Aadhaar-based merchant payment initiative.
- Under the initiative, the merchants in the village have been provided with simple android phones with a USB-based fingerprint capture device.
- The merchant is required to have a bank account with an Aadhaar number needed.
India’s Yuki Bhambri clinches ITF Hong Kong F4 Futures title
- Indian Tennis Player Yuki Bhambri, clinched $10000 ITF Hong Kong F4 Futures title on 25 December 2016. It was his 11th title on the ITF Pro Circuit.
- He defeated Shintaro Imai of Japan 6-4, 7-5 who has been placed at second position.
- Bhambri won 75% of his first service points and broke serve three times to lock victory in one hour and 54 minutes. With the win, the world number 534 takes away $1440 in prize money along with 18 ATP ranking points.
- On the other hand, Cheng-Peng Hsieh of Taipei and Pak Long Yeung from Hong Kong defeated Hong Kong’s Karan Rastogi and Jack Wong to win the doubles title 5-7, 6-3, 10-4.
Dr Barbara Jatta becomes first ever female director of Vatican Museums
- Dr Barbara Jatta(54) was appointed as the first female director of Vatican Museums by Pope Francis. It will be effective from January 1, 2017.
- Jatta is currently working as the Deputy Director of the museums Since June 2016.
- With this appointments she will become the “highest-ranking female administrator in the Vatican.