PM Modi unveils statue of Atal Bihari Vajpayee in Lucknow on his birth anniversary
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday unveiled a statue of former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee at the Lok Bhawan here. He also laid the foundation stone for the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Medical University in the Uttar Pradesh capital.
* The state government has given 50 acres of land for the varsity.
The event coincided with the birth anniversary of Vajpayee, who represented Lucknow in the Lok Sabha five times.
India’s first transgender university to come up in Uttar Pradesh’s Kushinagar
* India’s first university for the transgender community will be opened in Uttar Pradesh’s Kushinagar district. This university will facilitate the transgender community to study from class 1 to PG, and the community members can even do research and get a PhD degree.
* It is the first of its kind University in country, where transgender community members will be able to get education.
* The university is being built by Akhil Bhartiya Kinnar Siksha Seva Trust (All-India transgender education service trust). Members of the transgender community will get education and will be able to give a new direction to the country. From 15 January 2020, two children who are brought up by community members will get admission and from February and March 2020 other classes will start.
Niranjan Hiranandani takes over as Assocham president
* Hiranandani Group Managing Director Niranjan Hiranandani has taken over as the new president of industry body Assocham. He will succeed Balkrishan Goenka the Welspun Group Chairman. Niranjan Hiranandani is the Co-Founder and Managing Director of the Hiranandani Group of Companies.
Hemant Soren to take oath as Jharkhand Chief Minister on 29 December
* Grand Alliance leader Hemant Soren will take oath as Chief Minister on the 29th of this month. He was formally elected the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) legislature party leader. He was projected as the chief ministerial candidate by the JMM, Congress and RJD Alliance that gained the majority in the recently concluded Assembly polls.
Rohtang tunnel in Himachal Pradesh renamed as Atal tunnel
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi named Rohtang passageway in Himachal Pradesh as Atal Tunnel to mark the 95th birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
* Prime Minister said the strategic Atal tunnel will change the fortunes of this region and will help in promoting tourism in the region.
* The tunnel has been named as a tribute to the former Prime Minister who took the historic decision of constructing this strategic tunnel. It will provide all-weather connectivity to remote areas of Lahaul and Spiti Valley and also reduce the distance between Manali and Leh by 46 Kilometres.
Unicef 2019 award to Kamareddy district for Swachh Bharat implementation
* Kamareddy district secured the United Nations International Children’s and Education Fund (Unicef)-2019 Award for effective implementation of Swachh Bharat Mission in water sanitation and hygiene sectors.
* Kamareddy district was on top in the country among other districts in construction of individual sanitary lavatories, swachh darpan wall paintings, swachh survekshan, swachh sundar shouchalay and many other activities.