German Golfer Sophia Popov wins Women’s British Open 2020
* German Golfer Sophia Popov won the Women’s British Open 2020 title (rebranded as 2020 AIG Women’s Open) by defeating Thailand’s Jasmine Suwannapura by two strokes at Royal Troon in Scotland. Sophia has now become the first female golfer from Germany to win the LPGA Tour’s major title.
Bayern Munich wins UEFA Champions League 2019-20
* German professional sports club, Bayern Munich won the UEFA Champions League 2019-20 title by defeating Paris Saint-Germain 1-0. The final was played in Lisbon, Portugal. Bayern Munich has become the first European Cup winners who won all their matches during the tournament. This is the sixth European Champions League title for Bayern Munich.
India and AIIB sign agreement for $500 million for Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III
* Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has signed a loan agreement (with Government of India, the Government of Maharashtra and Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation) for a $500 million Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III.
* The aim is to improve the network capacity, service quality and safety of the suburban railway system in Mumbai.
* With a population of 22.8 million (2011), Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) is the most populous metropolitan region in India and is expected to reach 29.3 million by 2031 and 32.1 million by 2041.
Chetan Bhagat’s new Book ‘One Arranged Murder’ to hit stand in September 2020
* India’s highest-selling author Chetan Bhagat has come up with his another unputdownable thriller book titled ‘One Arranged Murder’.
* A story about love, friendship, family and crime, the book is likely to be released on 28 September 2020.
India’s longest River Ropeway inaugurated over Brahmaputra River connecting Guwahati and North Guwahati
* The longest river ropeway of India has been inaugurated in Assam, over the River Brahmaputra, which would connect Guwahati and North Guwahati.
* The ropeway was inaugurated by the state Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and Guwahati Development Department Minister Siddhartha Bhattacharya on 24 August.
* The ropeway is 2 km long and the distance shall be covered in seven minutes.
* Though the capacity is of 32 passengers in each carriage, only 15 passengers will be allowed as for now in view of the coronavirus pandemic.
* It has been built at an estimated cost of Rs 56 crore and has as many as 58 CCTV cameras installed for round-the-clock monitoring of the ropeway service.The ropeway will allow passengers to witness the beautiful landscapes of Guwahati city, river Brahmaputra, and the Umananda Temple.