Sahil Seth appointed as honorary adviser for BRICS CCI
* Sahil Seth has been appointed as an honorary adviser to the steering committee for the BRICS Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCI) young leaders. He has been appointed for the period 2020-2023. Seth is presently serving as the Deputy Commissioner of Mumbai Customs.
Riva Ganguly Das appointed as Secretary East in MEA
* India’s High Commissioner to Bangladesh, Riva Ganguly Das is appointed by the Government as the Secretary East, in the Ministry of External Affairs. She will succeed Vijay Thakur Singh after her retirement on 30th September this year.
Partha Pratim Sengupta becomes new MD & CEO of IOB
* Government of India has appointed Partha Pratim Sengupta as the new Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Indian Overseas Bank (IOB). He will replace Karnam Sekar, who retired from the post of the MD and CEO at IOB on June 30, 2020. Sengupta has been appointed up to a date of attaining the age of superannuation, December 31, 2022, or until further orders.
Haryana to host 2021 Khelo India Youth Games
* Haryana will host the 4th edition of the Khelo India Youth Games after the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. The announcement was made by the state’s chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar and Union sports minister Kiren Rijiju via video conference. The Games will be held in Panchkula.
Indian team’s 2018 Asian Games silver medal upgraded to gold
* The silver medal of the Indian 4×400 mixed relay team’s 2018 Asian Games, Jakarta has been upgraded to gold. The medal was upgraded to gold following the disqualification of Bahrain squad that finished first in the 4×400 mixed relay final. The Bahrain squad was disqualified as Kemi Adekoya of Bahrain has been handed a 4-year ban by the Athletics Integrity Unit for failing a dope test.
* Hence, the Indian quartet of Mohammed Anas, M.R. Poovamma, Hima Das and Arokia Rajiv, who finished second behind Bahrain in the 4×400 mixed relay final have now become the first winner of the event. Also. Indian runner Anu Raghavan has moved from fourth place to bronze medal position in the women’s 400 m hurdles following the disqualification of Kemi Adekoya of Bahrain.
UP Governor Anandiben Patel Gets Additional Charge Of Madhya Pradesh Post Demise of Lal Ji Tandon
* The Uttar Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel has been given the additional charge of Madhya Pradesh with effect from 24 July 2020.
This decision was taken after the demise of Lal Ji Tandon, Governor of Madhya Pradesh on 21 July 2020.
* Anandiben Patel will discharge the functions of the Governor of Madhya Pradesh, in addition to her own duties, until the appointment of a regular incumbent for the office of the Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson wins 2020 FWA Footballer of the Year award
* Jordan Henderson, the captain of Premier League club Liverpool has been named the 2019-20 Footballer of the Year by the Football Writers’ Association (FWA).
* The Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year is an annual award given since the 1947–48 season, to the player who is adjudged to have been the best of the season in English football.
* The 30-year-old Henderson has played in 30 of Liverpool’s league matches so far this season and scored four goals.
Kala Narayanasamy honoured with President’s Award in Singapore
* Indian-origin nurse, Kala Narayanasamy in Singapore has conferred with the President’s Award for Nurses for serving on the frontline during the COVID-19 pandemic, who was among the five nurses (Tay Yee Kian, Patricia Yong Yueh Li, Alice Chua Foong Sin, Chin Soh Mun).