India and Canada signed six agreements
- India and Canada have signed six agreements in different fields including nuclear science, energy cooperation, sports, education, science and technology.
- These agreements were signed after delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his visiting Canadian counterpart Justin Trudeau in New Delhi.
Agreements signed are:-
- MoU on Cooperation in Sport.
- MoU for Cooperation in Higher Education.
- MoU for Cooperation on Intellectual Property Rights.
- Terms of Reference for the India-Canada Ministerial Energy Dialogue.
- MoU for cooperation in the Fields of Science, Technology and Innovation.
- Joint Declaration of Intent on Cooperation in the Field of Information Communications Technology and Electronics.
DRDO Successfully Carries Out Test Flight Of Rustom-2 Drone
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully flown its Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle RUSTOM 2 in Karnataka. The flight assumes significance as this is the first flight in user configuration with higher power engine.
- India at present depends on America and Israel for such predator drones. DRDO is developing within India a medium-altitude long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicle RUSTOM 2.
- It has the capability to fly for 24 hours at a stretch at over 200 km/hr speed, and can, not only conduct sustained surveillance but will be able to destroy enemy targets.
Paytm Launches Two Insurance Companies
- Digital payments startup Paytm has launched two insurance companies, Paytm Life Insurance and Paytm General Insurance.
- Paytm Founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma, CFO Madhur Deora, and Shankar Prasad Nath are the three signatory stakeholders in both the companies.
PM Modi Launches Amma Two-Wheeler Scheme In Chennai
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Amma Two Wheeler Scheme (in Chennai) of the state government coinciding with the birth anniversary of former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Jayalalithaa.
- The scheme, with the objective of enhancing the livelihood of working women, aims to provide subsidised two-wheelers to women, transgenders and differently-abled persons. Nearly 23,000 beneficiaries have registered for the scheme, which provides subsidies ranging up to 50% of the cost of the vehicle.
Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Starts Operations
- Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Limited (ABIPBL) started operations, making it the fifth payments bank to roll out operations.
- The Reserve Bank has issued a license to the bank under Section 22 (1) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 to carry on the business of payments bank in India.
- The roll-out comes at a time when the regulator has issued fresh know your customer norms for payments banks that are likely to increase operational costs for these banks.
India Successfully Test-Fires Dhanush Missile
- India successfully test-fired the nuclear-capable surface-to-surface Dhanush ballistic missile with a strike range of 350 km from a naval ship off Odisha coast.
- This naval variant of the indigenously-developed Prithvi-II missile was test-fired from the ship positioned near Paradip in the Bay of Bengal.
- It was developed bt the Defence Research and Development Organisation. ‘Dhanush’ missile is is capable of carrying a payload of 500 kg and hitting both land and sea-based targets.
RBI Launches Ombudsman Scheme For NBFCs
- The Reserve Bank of India has launched Ombudsman Scheme for non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) for redressal of complaints against them.
- The scheme will provide a cost-free and expeditious complaint redressal mechanism relating to deficiency in the services by NBFCs covered under the scheme.
- The scheme will cover all deposit-taking NBFCs, and based on the experience gained.
- The offices of the NBFC ombudsmen will function at four metro centers – New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Chennai.
Parupalli Kashyap Won Austrian Open
- Reigning Commonwealth Games champion Parupalli Kashyap overcame Malaysia’s June Wei Cheam in straight games in the men’s singles final to clinch the Austrian Open International Challenge, his first international title in over three years.
- The Indian looked in good touch throughout the tournament as he didn’t drop a single game en route to his title win.
Aruna Budda Reddy Becomes 1st Indian To Win Individual Medal At Gymnastics World Cup
- Aruna Budda Reddy has created history by becoming the first Indian to win an individual medal at the Gymnastics World Cup in Melbourne, Australia. She clinched a Bronze medal in the Women’s Vault.
- Aruna, who hails from Hyderabad, scored 13.649 average points to finish third and claim the bronze medal at the Hisense Arena. Tjasa Kysslef of Slovenia took home the Gold, while Emily Whitehead of Australia won the Silver.