Shivraj Singh Chauhan takes oath as CM of Madhya Pradesh
* BJP politician Shivraj Singh Chouhan has been appointed as the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh. He has been appointed for the fourth time.
* This comes after the Madhya Pradesh chief minister (ex) Kamal Nath resigned from his post on March 20, 2020, as his government fell short of the majority mark.
* The trigger of the downfall of Congress in Madhya Pradesh was Jyotiraditya M. Scindia leaving the Congress on 11 March, taking with him 22 MLAs.
India ranked 120 in the 2020 Index of Economic Freedom
* India has been ranked at 120 position in the 2020 Index of Economic Freedom published by Heritage Foundation Index. The index has been topped by Singapore.
* Hong Kong is on second in the ranking followed by New Zealand on the third. North Korea is at the last position at 180th place. Though there are 6 countries that are not ranked.
* The Index was first published in 1995 and Hong Kong has topped the charts ever since. This is the first time that Hong Kong has been replaced from the 1st position.
US, UAE troops conducts biennial exercise “Native Fury” at Abu Dhabi
* US Marines and Emirati forces conducted the biennial exercise, named Native Fury at Abu Dhabi on March 23, 2020.
* The exercise saw forces seize a sprawling model Mideast city, a drill conducted amid tensions with Iran and despite the new coronavirus pandemic.
* It also comes after the U.S. killed Iran’s most prominent general in a drone strike in January, and Tehran retaliated with a ballistic missile attack on American forces in Iraq.
Hillel Furstenberg & Gregory Margulis Wins 2020 Abel Prize in Mathematics
* Two mathematicians, Israeli-American Hillel Furstenberg and Russian-American Gregory Margulis, have jointly won the 2020 Abel Prize, one of the most prestigious awards in the field of mathematics.
* The two have won “for pioneering the use of methods from probability and dynamics in group theory, number theory and combinatorics”.
* Abel prize is a Norwegian prize awarded annually by the King of Norway for outstanding scientific work in the field of mathematics to one or more outstanding mathematicians.
Ruchika Tomar wins PEN/Hemingway Award for debut novel
* Ruchika Tomar’s “A Prayer for Travelers” has won the PEN/Hemingway Award for best debut novel, an honor previously given to Marilynne Robinson, Tommy Orange and Yiyun Li among others.
* Tomar will receive $25,000 and a month-long residency at the Ucross Foundation writers retreat in Wyoming.