Current Affairs Pocket : 23rd Nov. 2018
Whatsapp appoints Abhijit Bose as India head, to set up team in Gurugram
- Facebook-owned Messaging Company WhatsApp has appointed Abhijit Bose, co-founder and CEO of Payment device maker Ezetap as the head of WhatsApp India.
- Abhijit Bose who has 17 years of experience in product management, product development and product marketing with expertise in software and mobile market will join WhatsApp in early 2019 and he is going to build WhatsApp biggest team outside USA in Gurugram.
- Indian government is building pressure on WhatsApp to curb spreading of fake news. WhatsApp appointed Komal Lahiri as its first Grievance Officer for India to address the issues.
Joyce Msuya appointed as acting Executive Director of UNEP
- Tanzanian biologist Joyce Msuya has been appointed as acting Executive Director of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) after the resignation of Erik Solheim.
- Erik Solheim resigned from the post of Executive director of UNEP following an internal audit report that said he had gobbled up $500,000 in unnecessary and budgeted travel expenses in just 22 months.
Azim Premji Conferred Forbes India Leadership Awards 2018
- Azim Premji, chairman of Wipro, has won Forbes India Leadership Awards 2018, Lifetime Achievement. Wipro is India’s fourth-biggest software services company by revenue and Ajim Premji is the second richest Indian.
- The Forbes India Leadership Awards, India’s most prestigious honour for the top executives, was held in Mumbai. Forbes India honoured entrepreneurs and company bosses across nine categories, with an emphasis on excellence, innovation, and transformational leadership.
Paytm Partners With LIC For Insurance Premium Payments
- Paytm (One 97 Communications Limited) has partnered with the Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to offer online insurance premium payments on its platform. Softbank-backed Paytm will provide premium payment solutions from over 30 insurance companies including LIC, ICICI Prudential Life, Reliance Life, and Max Life Insurance among others.
Prof SP Ganguly Awarded Mexican Order of Aztec Eagle
- JNU’s Hispanic Studies professor Shyama Prasad Ganguly has won Mexico’s highest civilian honor “Orden Mexicana del Águila Azteca” (Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle) accorded to foreign nationals. He was awarded for disseminating Spanish language and Mexican culture to strengthen Mexico-India cultural relations. He is the first Indian Academician to get this award.