Current Affairs Pocket : 23rd Jan. 2019
Noted Gujarati Poet Sitanshu Yashashchandra Awarded Saraswati Samman 2017
- Noted Gujarati poet Sitanshu Yashashchandra has been awarded Saraswati Samman, 2017, for his poetry collection in Gujarati named “Vakhar”. This is the 27th edition of the prestigious award instituted by K.K.Birla foundation given every year to an outstanding work of an Indian citizen published during the last 10 years in any of the languages mentioned in Schedule 8 of the constitution.
- The award comprises of a citation and a plaque apart from award money of 15 lakh rupees. Noted film director and author Gulzar gave away the award at a solemn function at National museum auditorium in New Delhi. Mr. Yashashchandra, recipient of the Padmashri in 2006, is known for seamlessly blending history with poetry.
Rishabh Pant Named ICC Emerging Player Of The Year
- Rishabh Pant was named the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Emerging Player Of The Year following an impressive show in India’s first-ever Test series win in Australia. The 21-year-old wicket keeper-batsman scored 350 runs in the four-match Test series that India won 2-1 to script history in 71 years and 11 attempts.
- With an unbeaten 159-run knock in the 4th Test in Sydney, Rishabh Pant became the first Indian wicket-keeper to score a Test century in Australia. Earlier, he equalled the record for the most catches taken in a Test with 11 against Australia in Adelaide in December.
India Ranks 80th On Global Talent Competitiveness Ranking: Survey
- India has moved up one position to rank 80th on the global talent competitive index, but remains a laggard among the BRICS nations. Switzerland continues to top the list, released on the first day of the World Economic Forum (WEF) Annual Meeting at Davos by INSEAD business school in partnership with Tata Communications and Adecco Group.
- The top 3 countries in the list are:
- The United States.
Omega Healthcare Inks MoU With IIIT-Bangalore
- Omega Healthcare Management Services has signed a pact with IIIT-Bangalore for advanced use of the latest technology in providing healthcare solutions. The MoU is aimed at building industry-grade AI engines that can be embedded as part of Omega’s business solutions to solve healthcare business challenges.
- The pact also entails research programmes in artificial intelligence (AI) and Data Science, aiming to focus on specific business-related processes along with expected outcomes, with the programme being collectively decided by both organisations.
Andhra Pradesh Cabinet Decides To Give Quota For Kapus Community, EBCs
- Andhra Pradesh cabinet has decided to cater 5% reservation each for Kapu community and the economically backward classes (EBCs) among the forward castes. The cabinet approved the decision of doubling the welfare pensions given under the NTR Bharosa Scheme. Pensions of Rs 1000 and Rs 1500 are doubled to Rs 2000 and Rs 3000 respectively.
- It is believed that 54.61 lakh pensioners will be benefited from this decision. The cabinet decided to give exemption of life tax for autos and quarterly tax for tractors. It has also approved the proposal of motor vehicle tax arrears. In total 9.79 lakh vehicle owners will be benefited to the extent of Rs 66.50 crores.