Carmen Reinhart appointed as Chief Economist of World Bank Group
* World Bank Group has appointed Carmen Reinhart as its new Vice President and Chief Economist. Her appointment will be effective from June 15, 2020. She was a Senior Policy Advisor and Deputy Director at the IMF and Vice President and Chief Economist of the investment bank Bear Stearns.
* Carmen Reinhart has been ranked among the top Economists worldwide based on publications and scholarly citations. She was also awarded the King Juan Carlos Prize in Economics as well as NABE’s Adam Smith Award.
Govinda Rajulu Chintala appointed as chairman of NABARD
* The Appointments Committee of the Union Cabinet has appointed Govinda Rajulu Chintala as the Chairman of National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD). He is presently serving as the Chief General Manager at NABARD and will remain on the post till his superannuation in July 2022. Presently, Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala is serving as the Chairman of NABARD.
* The appointments committee of the union cabinet has also cleared the appointment of Shaji KV as the Deputy Managing Director at NABARD for a period of five years. He is currently serving as the General Manager at Canara Bank. P.V.S. Suryakumar is also appointed as Deputy Managing Director till his superannuation in July 2023. Along with the appointments, the tenure of Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha, secretary in the AYUSH ministry, has been extended on a contract basis for two years.
Dilip Oommen appointed as new President of Indian Steel Association
* Indian Steel Association (ISA) has appointed Dilip Oommen as its new President. He is presently the CEO of Arcelor Mittal Nippon Steel India. He was unanimously appointed as President for the next two years. He will replace Tata Steel CEO TV Narendran, who stepped down as President on May 1.
HRD Minister Launches ‘National Testing Abhyas’ Mobile App to Offer Free Mock Tests to JEE, NEET Aspirants
* The Union Minister of Human Resource Development, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has launched a new mobile app named the ‘National Test Abhyas’, which will help JEE and NEET aspirants to take online mock tests and prepare for their respective entrance exam from home.
* The app has been developed by National Testing Agency (NTA), to offer free mock tests for upcoming exams such as JEE Main and NEET under the NTA’s purview.
* The app will facilitate candidates’ access to high quality mock tests and also make up the loss to students due to closure of educational institutions and NTA’s Test-Practice Centers due to the lockdown.
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan To Take Charge As Chairman of WHO Executive Board
* The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Harsh Vardhan, will take charge as the Chairman of the World Health Organization (WHO) Executive Board on May 22, 2020, at the Executive Board meeting of WHO.
* Mr Vardhan would succeed Dr Hiroki Nakatani of Japan as the Chairman of the 34-member WHO Executive Board.
* The chairman’s post is held by rotation for one year among regional groups.