SBI Cards Appoints Ashwini Tewari as new MD, CEO
* Ashwini Kumar Tewari has been appointed as the new managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of the SBI Cards & Payment Services, the country’s second-largest credit card issuer.
* He will take over the role with effect from 1 August 2020 for a period of 2 years.
* Tewari will replace Hardayal Prasad, who has tendered his resignation and would demit office on 31 July 2020, owing to his voluntary retirement from the State Bank of India.
Indian direct selling industry ranks 15th globally, US tops: WFDSA Report
* The Indian direct selling industry, is ranked 15th globally, in terms of overall sale in 2019, as per ‘The Global Direct Selling – 2019 Retail Sales’ report by Washington-based World Federation of Direct Selling Associations (WFDSA).
* The Indian direct selling industry improved its ranking from 19th in 2018 to 15th in 2019.
* Indian industry recorded sales of USD 2.47 billion in 2019, a growth of 12.1 percent than last year..
* However, the global direct selling industry reported an overall decline of 4.3 percent in sales to USD 180.47 billion in 2019.
* As per the report, the United States Direct Sale Industry is leads the list, contributing 20 percent of the global direct selling industry with sales of USD 35.21 billion.
* It is followed by China (13 %), Korea (10%), Germany (10%) and Japan (9%) among the top five countries.
Harsimrat Kaur Badal inaugurates Zoram Mega Food Park in Mizoram
* Union Food Processing Minister, Harsimrat Kaur Badal has virtually inaugurated the “Zoram Mega Food Park” in Mizoram. Ministry of Food Processing Industries is focusing on boosting the food processing industry. This Mega Food Park will benefit farmers, growers, processors, consumers and prove to be a big boost to the growth of the food processing sector in the North East Region.
ICC Men’s T20 World Cup postponed to 2022
* International Cricket Council’s (ICC’s) announced, the T20 Men’s World Cup, scheduled to be played in Australia in October-November 2020, has formally been postponed to 2022 due to COVID-19.
* Besides rescheduling the T20 World Cup to October-November, 2022 the ICC Board also decided to push the 2023 ODI World Cup in India to October-November 2023 from its designated window in February-March, 2023.
Delhi Cabinet approves “Mukhya Mantri Ghar Ghar Ration Yojana”
* Delhi Cabinet has approved ‘Mukhya Mantri Ghar Ghar Ration Yojana’, which will be launched in six to seven months and will be linked to Centre’s ‘one nation, one ration card’ scheme. The scheme will help the beneficiaries get ration delivered at home. They will not have to come to the ration shops.
* The scheme is expected to benefit lakhs of people in the national capital through 2016 PDS shops. At present subsidised ration is provided under the National Security, 2013 Act and this new programme would add to the benefits of the Act.