India becomes 4th nation to get IMO nod for navigation satellite system
* The Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) has been recognised by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) as a part of the World Wide Radio Navigation System (WWRNS) for operation in the Indian Ocean Region. India has become the fourth country in the world to have its independent regional navigation satellite system recognised by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO). The other three countries that have its navigation systems recognised by the IMO are the US, Russia and China.
North Police Station in Kohima receives ISO certification
* The North Police Station in Kohima was awarded ISO 9001:2015 certification for Quality Management System. It is the first government agency of the state that has received such recognition. The ISO certificate helps to ensure that the police personnel routinely evaluates its working and implement remedial measures, as and when required.
* The entire process of certification was completed within 30 days and was initiated by the Kohima Police. The process involves an online application, documentation, upgrading the existing facilities, online auditing and other elements. Kohima police informed that their sole motive was to improve the quality of public service and to create a more visitor-friendly environment.
30th India-Thai Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT)
* The 30th edition of India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (Indo-Thai CORPAT) was held between the Indian Navy and the Royal Thai Navy from 18 to 20 November 2020.
* The Indian Naval Ship (INS) Karmuk, an indigenously built Missile Corvette and Thailand Ship (HTMS) Kraburi, a Chao Phraya Class Frigate along with Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft from both the navies participated in the CORPAT.
* The two navies have been carrying out CORPAT along their International Maritime Boundary Line twice a year since 2005 to enhance bilateral ties and maritime cooperation.
Scottish Author Douglas Stuart wins 2020 Booker Prize
* Scottish writer Douglas Stuart has won the 2020 Booker Prize for Fiction on 19 November 2020.
* He has been awarded for his debut novel, “Shuggie Bain.”
* The 44-year-old Stuart is only the second Scot to have won the prestigious literary prize.
* The Booker Prize for Fiction, (formerly known as the Booker–McConnell Prize (1969–2001) and the Man Booker Prize (2002–2019)), is a literary prize awarded each year for the best original novel written in the English language and published in the United Kingdom. It carries £50,000 prize ($66,000).
PM Modi & Bhutanese PM Jointly launch RuPay Card Phase-II
* Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi and Bhutan Prime Minister Lotay Tshering virtually launched RuPay card Phase-II, to allow Bhutanese cardholders to access RuPay network in India. In August 2019, PM Modi and his Bhutanese counterpart jointly launched Phase-I of the project.
* The implementation of Phase-I of RuPay cards in Bhutan has enabled the visitors from India to access ATMs and Point of Sale (PoS) terminals across Bhutan. Phase-II will now allow Bhutanese cardholders to access RuPay network in India.
Naseeruddin Shah honoured with Aditya Vikram Birla Kalashikhar Puraskar
* Veteran actor Naseeruddin Shah has been honoured with the 2020 Aditya Vikram Birla Kalashikhar Puraskar at annual Sangit Kala Kendra Awards. Alongside, two emerging stars, in the firmament of theatrics – Neel Choudhary and Irawati Karnik were awarded the Aditya Vikram Birla Kalakiran Puraskars. “Theatre” is the central theme, for this year’s awards.