Current Affairs Pocket :20th March 2018
Indian Navy To Host Bilateral Exercise ‘Varuna’ With French Navy
- The Indian Navy and the French Navy have conducted bilateral maritime exercises since May 1993. Since 2001, the exercises have been named VARUNA and there have been fifteen editions of the same till date. The last edition of VARUNA was conducted off the French Coast in April 2017.
- This year too VARUNA-18 would be conducted in three sea areas, namely, the Arabian Sea, the Bay of Bengal and South Western Indian Ocean. The conduct of VARUNA and the special impetus on taking this Navy-to-Navy cooperative engagement forward was reiterated in the Joint Statement made by the Prime Minister of India and the President of France.
IRCTC Ties Up With Ola
- Railway PSU IRCTC announced a partnership with cab aggregator Ola, giving commuters an option book taxi on its app.
- The tie-up, a six-month pilot project, will give customers access to Ola booking services when they visit the IRCTC Rail Connect App and on its website. The Ola cab facility will provide all the services offered.
India Won Nidahas T20 Trophy
- Dinesh Karthik scored 29 off just eight balls ,including a six on the last ball to help India pull off sensational four-wicket victory over Bangladesh in the Nidahas Twenty20 Tri-Series final in Colombo.
- The 2018 Nidahas Trophy was a cricket tournament that was held in Sri Lanka in March 2018. It was a tri-nation series between Bangladesh, India and Sri Lanka. The tournament was played to celebrate Sri Lanka’s 70th year of independence; the title derives from the Sinhalese ‘nidahas‘ meaning “freedom.”
Shi Yuqi defeated Lin Dan to win ‘All England Open title’.
- Chinese star Lin Dan lost a seventh All-England Open title to his young compatriot Shi Yuqi in the final. Seventh seeded Shi defeated Lin 21-19, 16-21, 21-9, in Birmingham.
- The surprising absence of Lin’s famed attacking skills helped Shi to grow in confidence. The 22-year-old, was able to utilise his speed and overhead attacks without inhibition against one of the sport’s all-time greats.
- Lin, became the first player ever to play in 10 All-England men’s singles finals and made it the first all-Chinese men’s Open final for a decade.
- Tai Tzu Ying, the world number one from Taiwan became the first women’s singles player in more than a decade to successfully defend the title. She defeated Akane Yamaguchi, the world number two, from Japan.
- Tai ended Yamaguchi’s hopes of becoming the first Japanese player to win the All-England women’s singles title, since Hiroe Yuki more than 40 years ago.
- Yuta Watanabe and Arisa Higashino, became the first pair from their country ever to win the mixed doubles title.
Vidarbha won Irani Cup
- Vidarbha capped a brilliant 2017-18 season with a domestic first-class double by winning the Irani Cup after the match against Rest of India ended in a draw on the fifth and final day.
- Ranji Trophy champions Vidarbha had cored 800/7 declared, Rest of India scored 236/6 at the Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium.
- Vidarbha achieved a distinction, remaining unbeaten through the domestic first-class season. They have won seven, and drawn three of the 10 first class-matches they have played this season.
Purva Barve Wins Women’s Singles U-19 Title At Israel Junior 2018
- India’s Purva Barve has won the Women’s Singles (Under-19) title at the Israel Junior 2018 Badminton tournament held in Rishon LeZion, Israel.
- She has defeated the third-seeded and top-ranked Russian Anastasiia Pustinskaia in three sets. The title is her first in 2018 and third overall.