Indian Railways to electrify all broad gauge routes by December 2023
* Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry, Piyush Goyal informed that Indian Railway(IR) Ministry plans to electrify all broad gauge(BG) routes by December 2023.
* As a target to electrify 4,310 km of BG route in the year 2023-2024 (till December 2023), it is planned to electrify a total of 28,810 km of BG route.
* As part of its solar mission, it plans to source approximately 1000 megawatt (MW) of solar power & to source around 200 MV of wind power, based on the techno-commercial assessment.
* Out of this power, about 204.82 MW (101.42 MW of solar & 103.4 MW of wind power) is already set up on the network.
Indian umpires Janani Narayanan and Vrinda Rathi named in International Panel of ICC Development Umpires
* Janani Narayanan from Tamil Nadu (TN) and Vrinda Rathi from Mumbai were named in the International Panel of ICC (International Cricket Council) Development Umpires. After the inclusion of Janani and Vrinda, the count of females from India in ICC panel becomes 3 after the appointment of GS Lakshmi as the International Panel of Match Referees.
* Janani: Janani Narayanan has been umpiring in Indian domestic tournaments since 2018.
* Vrinda: Vrinda Rathi, has also kept scores in international matches and has been umpiring in the Indian domestic cricket from 2018. She also played for Mumbai University as a pace bowler from 2007/08 to 2010/11.
Konark Sun Temple & Statue of Unity to be included in ‘Iconic Sites’ list
* According to Union Culture and Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel, the famous Black Pagoda, the Sun temple in Konark in Puri district of Odisha is to be included in the ‘Iconic Sites’ list of 19 monuments.
* The Sun temple will be developed as an iconic site by the Center.
* The Statue of Unity in Gujarat and the Sun temple in Odisha will be included in the said list as the total number of monuments in the list is to be raised from 17 to 19.
Priyanka Chopra collaborates with WHO to spread awareness over COVID-19
* Bollywood Actress Priyanka Chopra urged followers to rely on authentic sources of information about coronovirus and arranged an Instagram live with top personnel of the World Helath Organization (WHO) to raise awareness about the pandemic.
* Priyanka documented her videos on Instagram stories where she expressed the importance of only relying on authentic information about the highly contagious disease.
Dr. Jayaramareddy Konda appointed CEO of Andhra Pradesh Science City’s
* Dr. Jayaramareddy Konda appointed as the Andhra Pradesh Science City’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for 2 years.
* Jayaramireddy worked as Mathematics Professor at the KL University. Special Secretary of the Ministry of Investment and Infrastructure, R. Karikala Valavan appointed Jayaram to the position of AP Science City CEO.
* Dr. Appassani Krishnarao, who is vice-chairman of AP Science City, also congratulated Jayaramareddy.