IGI Airport, Delhi becomes India’s first single-use plastic-free airport
* GMR-led Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL) has announced that the Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi has become free of single-use plastic usage, becoming the first airport in India to achieve the milestone.
* The initiative is in line with the Indian PM’s vision to abolish all single-use plastic from India by 2022.
* The Confederation of Indian Industry-ITC Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Development (CII-ITC CESD), known for supporting business communities toward achieving sustainability, certified DIAL for its voluntary and successful implementation of single-use plastic-free airport measures within IGI Airport’s operations.
Ministry of Textile Organises KALA KUMBH –Handicrafts Exhibitions for promotion of GI Crafts
* The Ministry of Textiles is organising Kala Kumbh – Handicrafts Thematic Exhibition in various parts of the country from 14 to 23 February 2020 to promote Geographical Indication (GI) crafts and heritage of India.
* The exhibition is being sponsored by Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH).
* It will be held in Bengaluru and Mumbai from 14 Feb to 23 Feb while, it will also be organized in Kolkata and Chennai in March 2020.
India Ranks 35th in EIU’s Worldwide Education for the Future Index 2019
* India has jumped five places to be ranked 35th in the Worldwide Educating for the Future Index (WEFFI) 2019, published by The Economist Intelligence Unit.
* India scored 53 points out of 100 in the overall index in 2019. It was ranked 40th with an overall score of 41.2 in 2018.
* The index has been topped by Finland (84.8), followed by Sweden (84.3) and New Zealand (79.9) at second and third respectively.
* Kenya (48), Nigeria (49) and the Democratic Republic of Congo (50) are the bottom three countries in the index.
President’s secretary Sanjay Kothari to be appointed as next Chief Vigilance Commissioner
* Sanjay Kothari, the Secretary to the President, has been selected as the new Chief Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) by a high-powered committee headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The committee has also chosen by a majority decision, former Information and Broadcasting Secretary Bimal Julka, currently serving as an Information Commissioner, as the new Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) in Central Information Commission.
* Both Kothari and Julka are retired Indian Administrative Service officers. While Congress leader in Lok Sabha Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury opposed the decisions, it was supported by other members in the panel Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Minister of State for PMO and Personnel Jitendra Singh, Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba and Secretary Personnel C Chandramouli.
Ram Mandir Trust elects Nritya Gopal Das as president
* Mahant Nritya Gopal Das was elected as the president of the Ram Janmabhoomi Teertha Kshetra Trust. Champat Rai would be the general secretary of the trust. The first meeting of the Ram Mandir Trust to oversee the construction of Ram temple in Ayodhya was held in New Delhi.
* The meeting also decided that Nripendra Mishra, former Principal Secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, will head a committee to make decisions regarding the actual construction of the temple. Swami Govind Dev Giriji Maharaj will be the treasurer of the trust. Delhi-based chartered accountancy firm, V. Shankar Aiyyar and Company will be the accountants for the trust. Senior Uttar Pradesh bureaucrat Awanish Awasthi and Ayodhya district magistrate Anuj Jha would be the State’s representatives in the trust.
Sunil Kumar wins gold in Asian Wrestling Championships
* Sushil Kumar won the gold medal in Asian Wrestling Championships 2020 in New Delhi.
* The Seasoned grappler beat Azat Salidinov from Krrgyzstan in the final of the 87 kg category. Last year also, Sunil Kumar had made it to the final and ended with the silver medal.
Govindrajulu Elected as the Chairman of NABARD
* Chintala Govinda Rajulu elected as the Chairman of the National Agricultural and Rural Development Bank (NABARD).
* The Bureau of Banks Board (BBB) has named the Govinda Rajulu as the new chairman. Govinda Rajulu currently serves as NABARD’s vice-managing director.
* NABARD is India’s Financial Bank with headquarters in Mumbai. Govindrajulu attended Bapatla Agricultural College to complete his higher education.