Mustapha Adib appointed as new Prime Minister of Lebanon
* Lebanese diplomat, Mustapha Adib, country’s envoy to Germany, has been appointed as the Prime Minister of Lebanon.
* The 48-year-old replaces Hassan Diab.
* Adib received support from 90 of 120 MPs to become the new Prime Minister of Lebanon and to form the government on 31 August 2020
* He had served as the ambassador of Lebanon to Germany from 2013 to 2020.
Hemant Khatri takes charge as CMD of Hindustan Shipyard
* Indian Navy (IN) Commodore Hemant Khatri (retd) has taken the charge of Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of Hindustan Shipyard Ltd on 01 September 2020.
* He succeeds Rear Admiral (IN) LV Sarat Babu holds the position.
Nomura Slashes India’s GDP at -10.8% in 2020-21
* Nomura has downgraded India’s economic growth rate for current financial year and now expects the GDP to contract by 10.8% in 2020-21.
* Earlier it had estimated the GDP to contract by 6.1%.
ICICI Bank launches ‘Home Utsav’, a virtual property exhibition
* ICICI Bank thas launched a virtual property exhibition under the name ‘Home Utsav’. The exhibition will digitally showcase real estate projects by renowned developers, across India.
* The exhibition can be accessed on www.homeutsavicici.com.
* The exhibition can be accessed by both customers and non-customers of ICICI Bank.
SBI Ecowrap report predicts India’s real GDP for FY21 at -10.9%
* State Bank of India’s research report – Ecowrap has projected India’s real GDP to contract by 10.9%.
* Earlier the report had predicted a contraction of 6.8% in the real GDP of India in FY21. The report predicts that all four quarters of FY21 will exhibit negative real GDP growth.
V K Yadav named as the first CEO of Railway Board
* The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of VK Yadav as the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Railway Board. He will be the first to hold such a post in the railway’s history.
* Presently he is the chairman of the Railway Board. The chairman and CEO will be the cadre controlling officer responsible for human resources (HR).
* Apart from this, the Indian Railway Medical Service (IRMS) will be renamed the Indian Railway Health Service (IRHS).
Usha Padhee Becomes first Woman DG of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security
* Usha Padhee, the joint secretary in the Ministry of Civil Aviation, has been given the additional charge as Director-General of the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
* The 1996-batch Odisha cadre IAS officer, Usha Padhee, is the first woman to have been appointed to the post as well as the third IAS officer to serve the position.
* She succeeds IPS officer Rakesh Asthana who has been posted as Director-General of the Border Security Force (BSF).
K Padmakar appointed as CMD of BPCL
* K Padmakar, the Director (HR) at the state-run oil marketing company Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) has been given the additional charge of the post of Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the company.
* He succeeds D Rajkumar, who superannuated on 31 August 2020.
India ranked 48th in Global Innovation Index 2020; Top- Switzerland
* India has been ranked at 48th position in the Global Innovation Index 2020. The ranking has been topped by Switzerland.
* The report has been prepared by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), along with Cornell University and the INSEAD Business School.
* In the report, India was placed in the Lower middle-income economies category. In this category, India’s rank is 3rd after Vietnam (42 overall) and Ukraine (45 overall).
India’s P Iniyan wins World Open Online Chess Tournament
* Indian Grandmaster P Iniyan has won the prestigious 48th Annual World Open online chess tournament. He scored 7.5 points out of a possible 9 with six victories and three draws to finish on top.
* Iniyan defeated Grandmasters Baadur Jobava of Georgia, Sam Sevian, Sergey Erenburg of the USA and Nyzhyk Illia of Ukraine.
Murali Ramakrishnan becomes new MD & CEO of South Indian Bank
* The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the appointment of Murali Ramakrishnan as Managing Director and CEO of the South Indian Bank for a period of three years with effect from October 1, 2020.
S Krishnan becomes new MD & CEO of Punjab & Sind Bank
* Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of S Krishnan as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Punjab & Sind Bank. He will replace S Harishankar.
* ACC has given permission to S Harishankar to voluntarily retire with effect from the date of notification of the acceptance. Earlier to this elevation, S Krishnan was as an Executive Director at Canara Bank.
Hyderabad International Airport wins CII-GBC ‘National Energy Leader’ award
* The Hyderabad International Airport or GMR led Rajiv Gandhi International Airport won the ‘National Energy Leader’ and ‘Excellent Energy Efficient Unit’ awards at the 21st National Awards for ‘Excellence in Energy Management’. Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited-Vizag Steel Plant (RINL-VSP) has also been awarded ‘Excellent Energy Efficient Unit’ award by CII-GBC in national award competition for excellence in energy management.