Current Affairs Pocket : 1st July 2016
Union HRD Ministry launches Prashikshak, an online teacher education portal
- The Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry has launched ‘Prashikshak’- an online teacher education portal for District Institutes of Education and Training (DIETs).
- The Prashikshak portal was launched by the Union HRD minister Smriti Irani in New Delhi. It seeks to strengthen DIETs and bring quality teachers into the school education system.
- The portal has been developed by the Union HRD ministry in collaboration with the Central Square Foundation, a policy think tank focused on improving quality of school education.
- It is an open online platform for collecting and reporting data from all DIETs which will help in the establishment of a strong monitoring mechanism.
- Prashikshak users will comprise pre-service teacher educators, DIET faculty and principals, policy makers at district, state and national level and the general public.
- The portal will strengthen the teacher education system in four ways (i) It will equip government officials with data for decision making, (ii) empower aspiring teachers (iii) Support innovation in teachers’ education and (iv) Increase transparency.
- It will help DIETs to make informed decisions about their institutes and compare the performance of their institute against other DIETs by facilitating online reporting of data.
- It will provide insightful analysis to strengthen the teacher education scheme in the country and allow states to spot areas where resources can be targeted.
Union Railway Ministry launches Nivaran portal, an online grievance redressal system
- The Union Railway Ministry has launched Nivaran portal, an online system for redressal of service related grievance of serving and former Railway employees.
- It was launched by Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu at function held in Rail Bhawan, New Delhi.
- Nivaran portal is an online system that seeks to facilitate the employees to lodge their grievances and also monitor the progress.
- The system will also provide employees of Indian Railways facility for lodging appeal to the higher authority in case the decision is not found satisfactory.
- Highest controlling authorities will also be able to monitor the progress of grievance redressal by field offices through this system.
- It has been developed by CRIS (Centre for Railway information systems), an IT arm of Indian Railways on basis of process designed by Establishment directorate of Railway Board.
India successfully test fires ballistic missile ‘Barak-8′ off Odisha coast
- Ballistic missile Barak-8 was successfully tested from Balasore district of Odisha.
- The missile was launched from test fired from launch pad no-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur. The Barak-8 is India’s new surface to air missile which is developed jointly with the Israel.
- Barak-8 is a medium range and surface-to-air type ballistic missile and has the capability to identify and hit a target missile within a range of 70 km.
- The missile is about four-meter long and weighs 275 kg. It has capacity to carry a payload of 60 kg.
- The system also includes a multi-functional surveillance and threat alert radar (MF STAR) for tracking, detection and guidance of the missile.
Argentina women’s team wins 2016 Champions Trophy title of Hockey
- Argentina women’s team has won the 2016 Champions Trophy title of Hockey by defeating Netherlands.
- In the final match played at the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre in London, UK, Argentina women’s team defeated Netherlands by 2-1 goals.
- With this victory, Argentina women’s team has won the Champions Trophy title of Hockey for record seventh time.Earlier they had won it in 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2014.
- In 2016 title, goals Argentinean team were scored by Martina Cavallero and Noel Barrionuev. For the Netherlands team single goal was scored by Maartje Paumen.
Final standings in Champions Trophy title: Argentina (1st position), Netherlands (2nd), United States (3rd), Australia (4th) and Great Britain (5th).
- Best player: Carla Rebecchi (Argentina)
- Best junior player: Maria Granatto (Argentina)
- Best goalkeeper: Joyce Sombroek (Netherlands)
Rodrigo Duterte sworn-in as new Philippine President after a landslide election victory
- After a landslide election victory in May, Rodrigo Duterte was sworn in as the 16th president of the Philippines and promised to make sweeping changes to the country’s political system.
- Maria Leonor Robredo was sworn in as Vice President.
- The Supreme Court Associate Justice Bienvenido Reyes administered Duterte’s oath of office at the Rizal Ceremonial Hall in Malacanang, the presidential palace.
Malaysia gets 2 women Shariah HC judges
- Two women have been appointed as judges of Malaysia’s Islamic Shariah High Court for the first time in the history of the judiciary of the Muslim-majority country. Noor Huda Roslan, 40, and Nenney Shuhaidah Shamsuddin, 41.
- Shariah High Court deals with exclusively Islamic laws, having jurisdiction upon every Muslim in Malaysia.
- Shariah High Court, also known as Syriah High Court, refers to Sharia law in Islamic religious law and deals with exclusively Islamic laws, having jurisdiction upon every Muslim in Malaysia.