Current Affairs Pocket : 19th July 2018
Flipkart’s PhonePe Acquires POS Platform Zopper Retail
- Flipkart’s digital payment subsidiary PhonePe has acquired Zopper Retail – a hyper local Point of Sale (POS) platform for small and medium businesses.
- The acquisition is a part of the company’s strategy to aggressively ramp up its offline business. Zopper’s CEO Neeraj Jain and the engineering leadership team has joined the team of PhonePe after the acquisition.
Microsoft And Walmart Team Up To Take On Amazon
- Microsoft and Walmart are teaming up for a strategic partnership that will take on rival Amazon in both technology and retail. Walmart announced at Microsoft’s Inspire partner conference, that it’s partnering with Microsoft to use the company’s cloud services.
- The five-year agreement will see Walmart use Azure and Microsoft 365 across the company, alongside new projects focused on machine learning, artificial intelligence, and data platforms. Walmart is Amazon’s biggest retail competitor, and Microsoft is Amazon’s largest cloud services rival.
RBI plans to issue new Rs. 100 notes in violet colour
- RBI will issue new ₹100 notes in a smaller size than previous version and with violet colour as the base. This note will reportedly feature the picture of Rani-Ki-Vav (the Queen’s Stepwell), which is in Gujarat’s Patan, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- RBI is likely to release these notes in August or September and all ₹100 notes issued by it earlier will remain valid.
- The Dewas-based Bank Note Press has started printing the new 100 rupee note.
Indian junior womens hockey team beats Belgium at U 23 tournament
- The Indian junior women’s hockey team defeated Belgium (2-0) at the Under-23 six-nations tournament. This is its third consecutive win at the tournament. Sangita Kumari and Salima Tete found the target.
- Meantime, the junior men’s team was held 1-1 by Belgium in its third round-robin match. Mohammad Umar from India and Syril Frying from Belgium found the target.
Neeraj Chopra Wins Gold At Sotteville Athletics Meet
- Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra has clinched a gold medal at the Sotteville Athletics Meet in France. The Indian youngster secured the top spot in the podium with an 85.17m throw.
- Moldova’s Andrian Mardare took the silver medal after he covered a distance of 81.48m. The bronze medal went to Lithuania’s Edis Matusevicius, whose best throw of the night was 79.31m.