19 Dec 2018
Current Affairs Pocket : 19th Dec. 2018
ISRO To Launch GSAT- 7A Communication Satellite: Watch The Space
- The countdown is progressing smoothly for the launch of GSLV F 11 carrying GSAT 7A at the Space research Centre Sriharikota. The process of propellant filling of liquid strap-ons had begun.
- The last launch of this year is a dedicated mission for updating and increasing the capability of the Country’s defence forces. GSLV F 11 will carry the 2250 kilogram GSAT 7A from Sriharikota at 4.10 pm this evening.
- The rocket will spew out the satellite within 20 minutes after lift off from the second launch pad of the Satish Dhawan Space Centre. The rocket, GSLV F 11 is the fourth generation launch vehicle with three stages.
UAE Declares 2019 As the Year of Tolerance
- UAE President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan declared 2019 as the Year of Tolerance, an extension of the Year of Zayed which has run this year.
- The leader stated that 2019 would highlight the UAE as a global capital for tolerance, instilling the values of co-existence and peace in local, regional and international communities. In 2016, the UAE Cabinet introduced the first post of the Minister of State for Tolerance and launched the National Tolerance Programme.
Government Appoints Interim CBI Head Nageswara Rao As Additional Director
- CBI’s Joint Director M Nageswara Rao, who is currently the interim CBI Director, was promoted to the rank of Additional Director by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet. The 1986-batch IPS officer from the Odisha cadre had joined the CBI in 2016.
- Before being appointed interim chief, Rao was No. 3 in the pecking order and was handling the Chandigarh branch along with certain branches in South India.
37th Senior National Rowing Championship Begins in Pune
- The 37th Senior National Rowing Championship began in the Army Rowing Node in Pune. Around 500 rowers and coaches from various rowing associations across the country are taking part in the Championship.
- The Rowers for the World Championships-2019 will be selected from this event. World Championship -2019 is the first qualifying Championship for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Sonam Kapoor Named PETA India’s 2018 Person of the Year
- Actress Sonam Kapoor, a vegan, has been named People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India’s Person of the Year for 2018.
- Sonam has been feted as she sings in praise of vegan eating and because she keeps animal skins out of her handbag line for her fashion brand Rheson, apart from taking other action for the welfare of animals.
Asma Jahangir posthumously awarded with 2018 UN Human Rights Prize
- Late human rights activist, Asma Jahangir was awarded with the UN Human Rights Prize 2018, posthumously.
- Her daughter Munizae Jahangir received the award on her behalf at the award ceremony that took place at the UN Headquarters in New York, as part of activities to celebrate Human Rights Day.