Google appoints IBM’s Karan Bajwa as MD of Google Cloud India
* Google appointed Karan Bajwa as Managing Director of Google Cloud in India.
* Bajwa, who recently served as Managing Director for India and South Asia for IBM, will be responsible for driving all revenue and go-to-market operations for Google Cloud’s extensive solution portfolio that includes Google Cloud Platform and G Suite in the country.
SC clears permanent commission for women in Indian Navy
* Supreme Court granted permanent commission for women officers in the Navy. The apex court said, “women can sail with the same efficiency as male officers and there should be no discrimination.” Supreme Court ordered that both male and female officers should be treated equally in granting permanent commission in the Indian Navy.
* The Bench, headed by Justice DY Chandrachud, directed the Centre to grant permanent commission to serving women officer in Navy within three months.
* The top court said that the denial of permanent commission to SSC women in Navy who have served the nation is a grave injustice. This judgment follows a verdict by the apex court in favour of permanent commission for women in Indian Army.
Iraqi president appoints Adnan al-Zurfi as new PM-designate
* Iraqi President Barham Salih appointed the former governor of Najaf, and the current leader of the Al-Nasr coalition, Adnan al-Zurfi, to form the transitional government in Iraq.
* Salih designated Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi, who previously served as Iraq’s minister of communication, to be an interim leader of the government.
* Al-Zurfi has 30 days to form his cabinet which he must then put to a vote of confidence in Iraq’s fractious Parliament. He will succeed Mohammed Allawi.
Prachi Salve, Pradeep Dwivedi won 2019 Road Safety Media Fellowship award
* Prachi Salve of IndiaSpend and Pradeep Dwivedi of DainikJagran jointly won the top prize in the Road Safety Media Fellowship 2019.
* The award recognized their contribution towards reporting on road safety by the Centre for Media Studies (CMS). The awardees were selected by a three-member jury.
* Journalist B. Raveendra Shetty of Vijay Karnataka and Purnima Singh of Times Now Hindi shared the second prize.