Current Affairs Pocket :18th Oct. 2016
China successfully launches its longest ever manned mission to space
- China has successfully launched longest-ever manned mission by taking two astronauts Jing Haipeng (50) and Chen Dong (37) into the orbit.
- They were launched on board of Shenzhou-11 (heavenly vessel) spacecraft from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre near the Gobi Desert in northwest China. The spacecraft was put into orbit by a Long March-2F carrier rocket.
- Both astronauts will spend a month aboard an experimental space laboratory Tiangong-2 (Heavenly Palace 2).
- During the mission, they will conduct aerospace medical experiments, space science experiments and in-orbit maintenance with human participation.
- The Shenzhou-11 mission is China’s sixth manned spacecraft. It will be first time that Chinese astronauts will stay in orbit for medium term.
5th India International Silk Fair held in New Delhi
- The Indian Silk Export Promotion Council organized 5th India International Silk Fair at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi. The Fair showcased the world renowned Indian silk products like scarves, shawls, carpets, home furnishings, etc. in different patterns of designs and colours.
- India is the only country which produces all commercial varieties of silk like Tassar, Muga, Eri and Mulberry.A networking evening, fashion show followed by dinner were being organized to bring together Indian manufacturers and International buyers and present the best silk products that India can offer.
Ashok Leyland launches first India-made electric buses
- Hinduja Group flagship Ashok Leyland launched – Circuit – the first “Made in India” electric bus.
- The bus with minimum seating capacity of 35 to a maximum of 65 can run up to 120 kilometers on a single recharge under standard test conditions, according to Ashok Leyland MD Vinod K Dasari.
Saina Nehwal appointed member of IOC’s Athletes’ Commission
- Star shuttler Saina Nehwal has been appointed as a member of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Athletes’ Commission.
- Saina has received a letter to the effect from the IOC President Thomas Bach last night.
- “Following your candidature for the elections of the IOC Athletes’ Commission during the Olympic Games Rio 2016, it is with great pleasure to appoint you in consultation with the Chair, as Member of the Athletes’ Commission,”
BIMSTEC countries express commitment to combat terrorism in all its forms
- The BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) countries have expressed commitment to combat terrorism in all its forms and manifestations.
- In this regard, seven nations of BIMSTEC countries have issues Leaders Retreat Outcome Document emphasizing that there can be no justification for acts of terror.
National Summit on Fortification of Food inaugurated in New Delhi
- The National Summit on Fortification of Food was recently inaugurated in New Delhi to address interventions in combating micro nutrient malnutrition in the country.
- The two day summit was co-hosted by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) in partnership with related central ministries/departments and development partners.
- The Summit had brought together experts from nutrition and development communities as well as representatives from state governments, technical supporters, academics and donors to beneficiaries.
ICC announces first-ever women’s World T20 in 2020
- Cricket Australia, hosts for the men’s and women’s ICC World Twenty20 in 2020, proposed holding the women’s tournament as a stand-alone event six months ahead of the men’s edition.
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to organise the first ever ICC Women’s World T20 event in 2020. A decision to this effect was taken at the ICC Board meetings which concluded in Cape Town.
- The ICC Board approved this request considering it a big step forward for the women’s game in a market where there is a clear appetite for women’s cricket given the success of the WBBL.