Current Affairs Pocket : 17th May 2017
PM Modi launches river conservation project in Madhya Pradesh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Narmada Seva Mission for the conservation of the crucial river, which is a lifeline of Madhya Pradesh.
- Narmada river captured the attention of the nation when it became the center of a decades-long struggle to stop the raising of the Sardar Sarovar Dam.
- Narmada Seva Yatra was launched on December 11, 2016, projecting it as the world’s “biggest river conservation campaign with public participation.” It was concluded on 15th May 2017.
India and Palestine Inks 5 Agreements
- India and Palestine has signed five agreements during the 4 day visit of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to India. This is Abbas’s fifth visit to India and the third state visit after his earlier visits in 2008 and 2012.
- These 5 MoUs signed were on visa exemption for diplomatic passport holder, agriculture cooperation, cooperation in field of IT & Electronics, health sector and cooperation in the field of youth affairs and sports.
India’s GDP projected to grow 7.4% in 2017-18: FICCI survey
- In a survey conducted during March and April 2017, FICCI predicted India’s gross domestic product (GDP) growth will be around 7.4% for fiscal 2017-18, with a minimum and maximum level of 7% and 7.6% respectively.
- Agricultural sector is estimated to clock 3.5% growth in 2017-18, the pick-up in overall GDP growth will also be supported by an improvement in industry and services sector growth. The industry and services sector are expected to grow by 6.9% and 8.4% respectively in 2017-18.
IIT-Hyderabad professor bags INSA Young Scientist award
- Assistant Professor in Department of Biomedical Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology – Hyderabad (IIT-H) Aravind Kumar Rengan has been awarded the prestigious Indian National Science Academy (INSA) medal in the Young Scientist category for 2017.
- His services in devising a novel way of nano – delivery using liposomes and gold nano particles were recognized. The INSA Young Scientist Medal award carries a bronze medal and a cash prize of Rs 25,000.
Pawan Kumar Chamling conferred with first BS Shekhawat award
- Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling was conferred with the first Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Lifetime Achievement Honour in Public Service by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- The award was conferred during the first Bhairon Singh Shekhawat memorial lecture delivered by the President.
Ovais Sarmad Appointed to Key Post in UNFCCC
- Ovais Sarmad who is an Indian national has been appointed by the U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to the post of Deputy Executive Secretary, which is a key post in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- As per the U.N. Information Centre in Delhi, the appointment has been made after making wide consultations with the Conference of Parties. The appointment assumes significance as UNFCCC aims to slow down climate change.